Samsung S3 freezes on Samsung logo & then keeps rebooting

Advocate

Re: Samsung S3 freezes on Samsung logo & then keeps rebooting

Simon is correct: http://developer.android.com/distribute/open.html#unknown-sources

Note: "...make this configuration change before they download your application to their devices.

some network providers do not allow users to install applications from unknown sources"

Highlighted
Aspirant

So I go into settings and disable the Unknown Sources box then re-enable the box as it's not from Google Play. There are no instructions on the webpage about this. I guess some people would give up here   Man Sad. It's a bit complicated downloading an unknown file that the phone won't install as it's blocked by Android. My wife certainly wouldn't be able to do all this. I guess this file is for Virgin Customers only,

It's better to make one journey than read a thousand books.
Superuser

Maybe it's not a 'feature' of all Android phones, or perhaps it isn't always 'on' by default?  There are lots of different variations of Android, and also, I believe some phone manufacturers have their own custom installations on their phones, so I guess it's a bit of a minefield to have everything compatible with everything else.

Your wife would be most welcome here too, Brillo!  :)

Senior Advisor

As long as you know the file is from a safe source and you have an AV to scan it as it is downloaded (lots of free AVs for phones; Dr Web, Avast and Ikarus highly recommended) easy to do on your Samsung.

Capture.GIF

Disable setting once done.

Aspirant

Hi All,

Well I went ahead & installed it like you chaps advised & it went smoothly. I set F-Secure up with a schedule scan. I turned the phone off then back on with trepidation. The Samsung logo came up & I waited & waited over 3 minutes & still the logo. Oh no it's frozen again. I clicked on the switch to try to reboot or re-start & the logo came up again then the main screen. Hey it started & scanned the memory card & phone again. After this I re-started & it froze again on the Samsung logo. I re-started & it cleared to the main screen. I tried this a couple of times & seemed to clear rebooting or re-starting. Any reason for starting second time as i'm getting nervous it won't start on me a second time & will be locked out with a factory reset. At least it's been starting after 2 goes so far, that's something. Does it always scan the memory card on start up?

Cheers......Brillo

Superuser

A pure guess (as usual!), but I wonder if it's trying to download / install updates, hence the apparent 'hang' when starting?  I would just leave it be for a while, to settle down, then see how things go.  You don't have any other security apps on the device, do you?

Aspirant

No other security apps installed.

The first time I downloaded it I left it a while before turning off & back on. I had checked for updates too. It just freezes when turned on first time although it starts second time this didn't happen when I downloaded the file from Google Play. Then it was even worse!

Aspirant

I uninstaled F-Secure yesterday & have just re-installed it again & have now tested it several times turning the phone on & off.

If I turn the phone on it just sits there with Samsung logo for about a minute or so untill it re-boots then the normal screen comes up & F-Secure scans the memory card. If I get fed up & press the on/off or restart switch it re-starts again with the normal screen & memory card scan. I wonder why it should take a re-boot to start the phone. No good if i'm in a hurry though, from switching on the phone. Very strange!

Superuser

I think we need another S3 user, with FS installed, or an FS Expert on the case now.  It might be worth raising a support ticket - even if they say that's normal behaviour, at least then you''ll have some clarification.

Aspirant

Hi Simon,

I have raised an issue with support.
Thank you for contacting F-Secure. We have received the following service
request submitted by you:

Number: 00082085
Created:
Subject: samsung freezes on startup then reboots

Just waiting to see if they come up with anything.
Cheers....Brillo