Release uninstalled subscription Device ID

Superuser

Re: Release uninstalled subscription Device ID

Even if you add a new subscription key before the old one expires, I believe the new one won't activate until the old one finishes, so you don't lose out by re-licensing early (ie, when the nag screens start!). Smiley Wink
LB
Aspirant

All, I had major success of a sort on all fronts. As I was preparing to uninstall and reinstall FS-IS-2014 last night while my wife was (finally) out for an extended period, my daughter e-mailed me with her device ID, and I found that F-Secure support had finally responded to my (3rd, 4th?) request (before my original post), and had e-mailed me notifying that they had released all the licenses under my customer ID.  (A very polite and apologetic response too, to their credit).

As my wife's computer booted-up, the "nag screen" had changed a little, and I was notified that I had unused subscriptions.  I was prompted to apply an unused licence seat.  The system authomatically selected one with an extended expiration. I then checked the used licenses, and noted that my daughter's device ID was also already populated with an extended expiration seat (she didn't say she had to do anything, but there might have been some interaction on her end, or it might have simply automatically populated during the update authentication). I still have a seat left (my wife's old laptop, that hardly ever gets booted anymore wasn't populated), so I can now uninstall that (off-line) and apply a valid FS license to another computer - (that I haven't bought yet Smiley Happy

I thought for a minute about making a "science project" of the evening through reinstalling F-Secure to some unused boxes and applying all the licenses again to see how they moved around, and if/how I was offered the chance during installation, but I decided to declare victory instead and do something else ;-)

So, I don't really know 100% for sure that your uninstall/reinstall solution works in my case, but I trust that it would have, and that I would have been shown the error of my ways, if it hadn't been exactly right.  (I may try my "science project" after the holidays, just to see...)

Thanks and kudos to all for your prompt, helpful and very educational responses to this question.  Best Regards and Happy Holidays!

Advocate

LB, I'm happy to hear you got it sorted! I agree this thread turned out quite educational. It will probably be a good reference to any future issues regarding all licenses already in use. So thanks for the detailed descriptions of your problem and how it worked out.

The "science project" sounds interesting but somewhat unnecessary. I would wait until next time you end up with a no free license scenario, when you really need it. Spend that time on something more useful instead, like checking out F-Secures new Password Manager and Safe Search  

And if you're interested in security in general maybe check out these tips of Security products that complement F-Secure AV/IS Smiley Wink

Superuser

Glad to hear you got things sorted. :)