Question about Application control

Hello!

How to make F-secure to ask me about to allow or to block internet access to new applications? "Ask about all applications" radio button is checked. Some time after installation it worked, but now when some application needs internet access I have to go to Application control settings and to add application manually to the list.

Best regards,

sorry for my english

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Ivan_Drago,

It shall prompt for actions when the "Ask about all applications" is checked. May I have the programs name which does not trigger the prompt to test it in-house?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• Hi Jayson!

Any application, which is not in the Applications list in FSIS. For example, Adobe updater, Dropbox client, World of tanks. FSIS blocks any application without asking if application is not  allowed in the list of applications. My friend on his laptop doesnt have this problem. Should I need to reinstall FSIS 2012? What about my key if I'll reinstall it: will I be able to reinstall FSIS with my current key?

BR

• [Deleted User]

Hi Ivan_Drago,

The Application Control should works this way with the "Ask about all applications" selected:
    - Action windows will prompt when you run the program for first time.
    - Program shall added to the Applications list automatically with action selected.

The same program will not prompt when you run it again, it will refer to the actions selected in Applications list.

Note: You can reinstall the program with the same subscription key as long as your subscription period is still valid.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• Hi Jayson!

I've reinstalled FSIS and do you know what I've found? That FSIS 2013 doesn't have own firewall ! I bought this product because it has firewall and antivirus in one solution. I don't like MS firewall. I've paid for FSIS firewall and I want it back. How can I install 2012 version now?

• [Deleted User]

Hi Ivan_Drago,

It is true that IS2013 does not include F-Secure's rule-based inbound firewall. This is the part of the firewall that can be configured to block access to certain ports or protocols. We are enabling the built-in Windows firewall for this purpose and have focused on building value on top of that. It is important to understand that F-Secure still builds and maintains its own firewall functionality. However, the part of the firewall that used to be build on top of Microsoft's Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) is now build on Windows Firewall instead. Basically, there is a change in the level of abstraction for one (albeit important) part of our firewall offering: The main difference between IS2012 and IS2013 firewall's is that F-Secure no longer provides its own user interface for creating firewall rules.

• this... sucks now I have to install another application to control outbound traffic in my machine.

• People were buying FSIS because it was unique product with antivirus and firewall service and because no one wanted to face with wars between firewall and antivirus. Who will buy FSIS now without firewall? I'd rather buy Kaspersky or NOD32.

"It is important to understand that F-Secure still builds and maintains its own firewall functionality" - what do you mean? For me the main functionality of firewall is to allow or to block network access to apps.

• Berk
    Berk Posts: 12

It took my hours to block a simple ip block with windows firewall.It was very easy with IS 2012's firewall.I think 2012 was better with users didn't liked 2013 version.

• [Deleted User]

Hi Ivan_Drago,

Please find more details about "What has happened to the firewall in F-Secure Internet Security 2013" from the KB article. 

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info