Problems with auto update to IS2013

Re: Problems with auto update to IS2013

We were discussing the two choices. One is to uninstall via Control Panel, and that method is preferred. The other is to download the uninstall tool from support, but that method is only in case the first method doesn't work.

In my case, the "first uninstall" (and subsequent reinstall) happened about a week ago and maybe I was more patient or something, it went well eventually. Yesterday, I tried to get rid of the extraneous subscription that F-Secure shows to me, and in doing that one, I was not patient and started a reinstall before uninstall had finished. Thus happened because I did not see anything was going on. Only after the reinstall, I saw a process cia Task Manager that clearly was related to installer (or uninstaller), and that is how I know there was a hidden process still running although both the uninstall window and the install window had already closed.

Supporter

Hi Hono,

Got it. 

Well, I'm running Windows 8 and here I was asked to reboot after using the ControlPanel. Now I get why you had come across that mess. In your case, F-Secure tech-support is required. (I'd also try to restore Lenovo settings, since it's new, to defaults... but that's me).

I finally got the reinstall done, I dont' need help with that anymore. But I still have that extra subscription there. Can you tell me if I am right in assuming that happened because I did the first install over WLAN and the second (and all attempts since) over LAN? I mean, is it because LAN and WLAN having dofferent MAC addresses? That is the onyl guess I am educated enough to make.

As for the first time uninstall&reinstall, the problem was that Computer Security was not starting. My knee-jerk reaction was to do a reinstall. It didn't help, and I looked up for help here, and found two users who had had the same problem on a Lenovo, and they bpth said that uninstalling RapidBoot Shield helped. I did that, but it didn't help. However, the problem with Computer Security comes and goes away rather unexpectedly. Every time it appears or reapperars, I have either uninstalled some of the Lenovo crap or installed something more useful. So even though disabling the RapidBoot thingy didn't help, I suspect it still might have something to do with the low-level optimizations that can be contorlled via BIOS. I have now disabled Intel Hyper-Threading and have fingers crossed, hoping that next time I install or uninstall something the problem with Computer Security won't reapperar.

Supporter

Hi Suf,

If you got contacted by tech-support then just follow their instructions carefully. I couldn't tell on what to expect when using the uninstalling tool, since as I said before, when I was contacted by them I tried removing it from Control Panel first (the other way around) and this did the job.

I don't know how long it will take when using the F-Secure uninstalling tool, just keep in mind that it will do its job silently in the background and when it finishes your pc will automatically reboot. Do not try to force the restart.

suf
Aspirant

Hi macstorm,

Fair enough, thanks for replying fast! I'll do it another night (and keep fingers crossed until then...) as I can't be kept up late right now.

Supporter

Hi Hono,

I'm glad to hear that you finally got it installed correctly.

Not sure, but I don't think the LAN stuff had anything to do with the mess.

A thing came to my mind just ago, what preinstalled security solution had your Lenovo before? I don't want to think that an incomplete removal of the previous "Suite" was the culprit Smiley Wink

Supporter

Hi Suf,

Whatever option your choose, please be patient in the process of removal Smiley Happy

Lenovo comes with pre-installed Norton, and F-Secure tried to uninstall it, but failed, so I uninstalled it myself, and then continued with F-Secure installation. It seemed to go well, but after reboot, Computer Security wasn't running. So I downloaded the Norton removal tool, ran it, and it didn't help. I reinstalled F-Secure and that didn't help. Then I did various other things, and after a reboot or another, Computer Security was running - until after several other reboots, it stopped again, and this continued and continued. The hint about RapidBoot kind of seems like a closer match, although it didn't prove out to be the right one. Anyway, at some point in the midst of it, I checked the subscription and found three subscriptions when I expected to find two, one for my old laptop and another for the new. Frankly, I can't believe Norton had anything to do with that one.

Supporter

Hi Hono,

I got scared when you just said that let FS to automatically uninstall Norton. Not even in my worst nightmares I'd dare to get rid of Norton that way, then again that's why ControlPanel is for, and just as last resort if something goes wrong people can look to 3rd party tools. Once, I tried Norton AV for several days, then when I removed it through CP and subsequent reboot, I applied the NRT for extra safety, you know this vendor have always had reputation of leaving many waste after uninstalls.

For what it is worth, I'd like to tell something. I had to install FSIS twice from my initial usage, first was an upgrade on top of previous FSAV trial (I was told by a tech-support guy, upgrading over an existent FS product is totally harmless). The next time, I was asked to do it to solve an issue with the BankingProtection feature, it was not detecting the secured website address of my bank. On both installs and subsequent reboots, FSIS seemed to keep "autoupdating and stabilizing" modules afterwards, with Windows Action Center acting strange and hardly detecting the protection of FSIS. I'd say just about half-hour later the Suite was completely settled.

I think FSIS has always tried to uninstal any "offending" software, as FSIS calls it.

However, the method of leaving a hidden process to finish the installation came with the netinstall version, I believe. Using such a ghost method leaves way too much room for user erros. Pulling the user in into the mix, even if (or especially) by accident, makes the whole thing so much less reliable. What a horror. I fully agree that there should only be one window that stays put through the whole installation. Having a separate pop-up to for the reboot message cuts off the context quite completely.