Problems with auto update to IS2013

F-Secure

Re: Problems with auto update to IS2013

suf,

There is a known problem with Windows installation databases that they sometimes become extremely slow. This is an issue with Windows, but affects our products, since we use Windows installer (msiexec). It also makes the uninstallation tool very slow on some computers. In any case, I think you set a new record for slowness by that 2h 15min time. :)

We are currently working on improving the uninstallation tool and upgrade, so that there is a dialog telling the user what is going on all the time. I can't promise when the changes are ready and rolled out though.

suf
Aspirant

Hi Ville,

Just my luck breaking a record this way! Smiley Tongue

Thanks for your attention! As I said, I work in a S/W development environment myself, so I am well aware of the challenges you face...Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Ville,

I am sorry but cannot think of going through all the trouble again, just for the sake of a repeat. I don't want to compete with suf's record.

I now realize that I should not have emphasized so much that I had problems with both uninstall and install, when actually, it was the uninstall phase that really got me into trouble. You are asking me to do the installation again and send the logs, but in asking that you miss the point. Uninstall is what you should investigate.

Uninstall seems like a rare thing to do, but that rarity is exactly why the problems keep de-railing the user so badly. Besides, it is not all that so unusual that users will attempt an uinstall just to do a reinstall immediately after, in an attempt to fix something that doesn't get fixed by reinstall.

Suf already showed how long the uninstall can take, but I don't think your explanation about the installation database matches my situation. My laptop is brand new, it just had the software that came pre-installed with it. When I first opened it, I first waited until it had done all the Windows updates it needed, before I began the process of uninstalling Norton and installing F-Secure. So the installation database is not old; it only had the minimum of installations. After the initial installation of F-Secure, I have uninstalled many of the Lenovo tools that I didn't need and I installed a small number of software packages that I need. But that all together still is not that much compared to a computer that has been in use for a longer time. Yet, when I began the botched uninstall, it took so much time that I lost my patience and managed to get everything entangled.

Norton uninstall didn't take that much time. Nothing else takes that much time. It's just F-Secure that does. You cannot blame it all on the installation database.

F-Secure

Hello Hönö!

Just to follow up on your issue, I was wondering if you had used our improved Uninstallation Tool that was rolled out in March?  As I understand, this should result in a cleaner uninstall, and a progress bar to keep you informed of how long it will take.  You can find the link to the tool's download here:

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/support/tools/uitool/UninstallationTool.exe

Please let us know if you're still having issues, or if this improved tool is of any help to you!

Chrissy

F-Secure Community Manager

Has somebody helped you? Give Kudos as a way to say "thanks!"
Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using the "Accept as Solution" button to let others know.