Problems with F-Secure and recent Windows Update.

F-Secure 2014 full version; Win 7 SP1-64-bit.

On cold booting my machine up on Wednesday, I noticed that the Action Centre tray icon was flagging 2 problems; "there was no Antivirus or anti-spyware on my machine" even though the F-Secure icon was in the system tray.

A pop-up window then suggested "I had not installed F-Secure successfully". The computer was also running very slow and Windows update was running.

After another reboot and after Windows had updated itself all was well again.

No clues in Download updates but Windows Error Reporting has fshoster32.exe. as an application error in its logs. First time I have seen this problem when running FS and updating Windows.

Did any other users notice a problem with F-Secure during Patch Tuesday?

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 147 Superuser

Hello,

Ever since 09 Oct 2013, forever-lasting 100% CPU use is often seen in the "Svchost.exe" process on computers running the FSAV WKS 11.00 (which is F-Secure's barebones "traditional antivirus" protection, meant for corporate Windows desktops running on less powerul hardware.)

Sincerely: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

No problems with latest win update, but I've had this problem before a couple of times. Usually the Action Centre message goes away by itself after a few seconds or when clicking the message. So the message seems to be a "false positive" everytime in my case. I think this happens due to high load on svchost after startup combined with lots of programs checking for updates and so on. I've monitored CPU, memory and processes for 10 minutes after startup. It's not until the Action Centre tray icon flag shows up, that CPU and memory reduces to normal level. Usually takes 5-10 minutes.
    FS IS 2014, Win 7 SP1-32-bit

Regarding fshoster32.exe, one problem I do have is a registry leak. This warnings shows up in Event Viewer EVERY TIME I SHUTDOWN my computer. Does anybody else get these warnings?

Source: User Profile Service
    EventID: 1530

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -

1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1618111713-3398149932-3299968322-1000_Classes:

Process 2124 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\F-Secure\fshoster32.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1618111713-3398149932-3299968322-1000_CLASSES

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Blackcat,

Sometimes you can expect this kind of "weird" behavior with the anti-virus program during the Windows update.

Although this is more to Enterprise environment, however Microsoft actually recommends (at your own risk) to turn off real-time scanning for Windows Update or Automatic Update related files.

Please refer more here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

---
    Best regards,
    Fendy

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.

• Rusli
    Rusli Posts: 1,012 Influencer

Blackcat,

Honestly, yes! I have the same problem. I got a fshoster error. On that same day.

I wonder why my CPU resource take up 100%!!!

Something crop up at F-Secure server.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info