Mailwasher

How can I allow MailWasherPro.exe to check my emails whilst Banking Prtoection is active?

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Banking Protection works by closing all other connections while it is active, however, there is a tick box in the settings to enable existing connections to remain open.  I'm not sure if this would do what you want, but if not, I'm not sure that there is a way to do so.  Somebody more technical than myself, may have a better idea though.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

If previous suggestion and tips about certain option under the Banking Protection did not help...

As it noted there:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/What-is-Banking-Protection-and/ta-p/77887

""disconnects all untrusted applications""

I still not sure if it possible (or available for all of applications), but you able to try contact F-Secure Support (chat as example) or will transfer this "executable"-file with description to F-Secure SAS:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample#sample-file

With meanings - if F-Secure Lab/Team able to create "trusted" status for this certain application.

Spoiler
    With my experience - such design probably was with changes some time before and maybe there already can be other limitations/exceptions for "Reasons" to block/disconnect application during Banking session.

Thanks.

• Cyclops
    Cyclops Posts: 6 New Member

Thanks for the thought.

It seems that F-Secure will not let any application outside the browser access the web whilst banking protection is active. Since their concept is only to allow trusted sites, I can find no way to set up my spam trap to be trusted.

As far as I can see, your suggested link refers to something other than an executable.

So I'm still stuck because for reasions Mailwasher seems uninterested in investigating, having been denied access Mailwasher then continues to rject mail checks as though banking protection was active for tens of minutes after banking protection has been disabled.

What I need is a way to tell F-Secure to allow access by programs I trust somewhere in the settings. There is no such option at the moment.

• Simon

@Cyclops wrote:
    So I'm still stuck because for reasions Mailwasher seems uninterested in investigating, having been denied access Mailwasher then continues to rject mail checks as though banking protection was active for tens of minutes after banking protection has been disabled.

Interesting that you say that, as I also use Mailwasher (Pro - the old version), and I never noticed before, but mine also rejects mail checks after Banking Protection has been deactivated.  I also use RouterStats Lite to monitor my connection, and I've noticed for a long time that when BP is activated, the tray icon for RouterStats goes red and displays '0', indicating, somewhat comfortingly, that the connection has been interrupted.  This evidenced to me that BP was actually working, but the icon also stays red long after BP has been deactivated. 

Curiously, though, this doesn't seem to affect anything else, as web browsing is fully enabled once BP is deactivated, and my default mail client is also immediately reconnected.  I'm using the beta FS Protection, so I will raise this as a bug report and see what comes back from the team.  

• Cyclops
    Cyclops Posts: 6 New Member

Thanks for that. I can immediately access email from Outlook after deactivating Banking Protection, but maybe Outlook is considered trustworhty by F-Secure, but not less-known apps.

As I said, perhaps a work-around would be to allow users to specify trusted 3rd party programs.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

But do you have options manually "re-trigger" connection under RouterStats or Mailwasher?

Because if Banking Protection feature will "break" (close) active network connection (and prevent fresh network connections from not trusted applications; or for suspicious network connections during banking session) - Mailwasher or RouterStats should start it after that (?!). If there missing "refreshing" - maybe delay based on how often they "refresh" (re-trying do network connection);

And not really Banking Protection still interrupt connection (if other software work).

Also I still think that if there "blocked" mailwasher.exe (as certain known executable-file) - it can be an option transfer it to F-Secure SAS and ask them "does it possible allow it for Banking Protection" (or not).

With explaining situation. Because time to time "design" of banking protection can be with changes.

Sorry for my reply.

• Simon

Thanks Ukko.

Even stopping and restarting MailWasher doesn't get it to connect again for several minutes after BP has been closed.   SAS may be an idea, but I will wait and see what the Beta guys say.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info