Lag in completing installation and detecting Eicar files on first install.

Superuser

Re: Lag in completing installation and detecting Eicar files on first install.

Another suggestion for a post-installation popup might be along the lines of:

"Thank you for installing F-Secure. Your computer is now protected, but we suggest a second reboot of your machine, in order to ensure that all of F-Secure's databases are fully updated."
Senior Advisor

@Simon

but since there F-Secure is not fully functional until the last update of the Aqarius/Bitdefender signatures, maybe it would be better to state on the first window after installation; 

"Thank you for installing F-Secure but your computer is not yet fully protected. So either reboot your machine or wait until the Update completes, as shown in the Status Window."

Senior Advisor

Blackcat,

Eicar files detections are varies with IE 10, Mozilla, Google Chrome browser.

Need to test with Opera.

Detections the SSL Eicar files seems to be no notification at all under IE 10 and Mozilla.

Superuser

@ Blackcat,

To be honest, I can't recall the exact sequence of 'welcome' popups, for want of a better description, but the second reboot instruction needs to come after the initial post-install reboot, yes? The wording could be debated ad-infinitum, but essentially, it needs to advise the user that a second reboot is required for all databases to be fully updated and functional.

We have to bear in mind that not all users will immediately start testing the product or go looking for viruses, so the message needs to clear and not too technical, whilst accurately informing the user. :)
Senior Advisor

@Simon

Overall, a reboot is not necessary for the Full installation, as eventually  the second full Aquarius update will occur (after 10 minutes or so after the first pop-up window which states incorrectly that there has been a successful install).

My overall concern is that users will start to use the Internet BEFORE full functionality of the program is achieved; and you do not have to go looking for viruses to become infected.

I agree that the message/Window needs to be kept simple BUT needs to inform users when the FULL install has taken place and not the "initial, successful install" which is still lacking the big signatures update.

My overall concern is that at the present time the program is not stating correctly when it is FULLY functional/ALL updates have been downloaded and appears to be in two separate parts. 

Superuser

I agree in principal with what you're saying, Blackcat, except that I don't believe it's THAT easy to become infected with normal 'safe' surfing habits. Of course, there are exceptions to that, and one could be unlucky, but my FS has never blocked a website I've visited due to it being unsafe, and I've never had a random 'virus removed' popup. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that after the initial install, FS does prompt for a reboot. Maybe, instead of this, it should simply say something like, "Please wait. F-Secure's databases are being uodated. You will be notified when this is compete, and protection is fully enabled."
Senior Advisor

"Anyway, I'm fairly certain that after the initial install, FS does prompt for a reboot."

I have not seen this.

Senior Advisor

"I agree in principal with what you're saying, Blackcat, except that I don't believe it's THAT easy to become infected with normal 'safe' surfing habits. Of course, there are exceptions to that, and one could be unlucky, but my FS has never blocked a website I've visited due to it being unsafe, and I've never had a random 'virus removed' popup. Maybe I've just been lucky."

Safe surfers should be okay but try some of the Gaming/Poker/Torrent sites my son uses Smiley Wink

Superuser

Lol, indeed! Smiley Very Happy

Now you've cast a doubt, I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I'm pretty certain it even prompts for a reboot after the TP updates we've been getting. Could you have just missed it? I assume you're using Windows?
Senior Advisor

Simon

are you using the beta again? I am back using the official 2014 version. Windows 7; 64-bit.