Is it possible for Mac to get a keylogger?

Is it possible for Mac OS 10.10 to get a keylogger? I lent my Mac to bf several days ago. Is it possible for him to install some knid of keylogger spy software on it? I have checked my Mac and find nothing. For some reason, I suspect he might do that.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello Carollight,

Our product should be able to detect malicious program such as keylogger on your Mac.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    I'd be more worried about the bf than the Mac! Smiley Very Happy
  • etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 147 Superuser

Hello,

Keyloggers also exist in hardware form, they can be as small as a grain of rice but record weeks' worth of typing. If the computer's casing can be opened (physical access) then HW attack also becomes possible.

Furthermore, some HW based keyloggers can be "pinged" over the network and the recording syphoned off, so it is not necessary to open the PC casing again for information retrieval.

(Modern Apple computers use hardware identical to high-end Windows PCs, with just one or two extra chips added, which supposedly prevent use of the OS X system software on affordable "beige box" hardware, rather than pricy, shiny white aluminium Apple Macs.)

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

• arronsalks
    arronsalks Posts: 1 New Member

To detect a keylogger on Mac, there are several ways to help. I just learn a little from this: http://www.keylogger-for-mac-os-x.com/how-to-detect-a-mac-keylogger.html  

Just share it here. Hope it can help.

Step 1 Open the Activity Monitor to check for unknown process. This system tool will  allow you to view the programs (processes) currently running on your computer.  

Step 2 Check and Research any unfamiliar processes running in your “Activity Monitor.”  Critical system processes sometimes have unrecognizable names, however, and  keyloggers may have a name that sounds legitimate.  

Step 3 Download and install a mac keylogger detector or another software firewall.  This type of mac software alerts you when another program tries to connect to the  Internet. It will detect a keylogger for mac before it sends information over the Internet , and allow you to block it.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info