Is it able to delete all events shown at the Recent Events Window for the user of SAFE ?

Hello all. Thank you for acceccing here.

I want to ask everyone about clear of all logs,which are shown at "Recent Events" Window of F-secure SAFE.

I've just started to use the latest F-secure SAFE on my private PC from some days ago.

Now it is fine for me and the others of user. But there are a trouble aroung it.

The latest F-secure SAFE is not including "Clear All" button at the events log window.

"Events history" is showing me some logs related to behaviour by F-secure for protection system.

I want to delete them, so I was looking for the delete button for clear all of them.

But I can not find it.

How can I clear the Events history?

Why the technical team of F-secure judged this direction based on removing this button?

Would you teach me about above things?

Thank you.

Comments

Hi @woodchapter

It is not possible to delete the events in the latest version of the client. The events that contain user sensitive data (paths, URLs) are visible to that Windows user only.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• MFR
    MFR Posts: 1 Observer

Hi Ville and F-Secure R&D,

Sorry, but your statement is not correct nor acceptable.

The events that contain user sensitive data (paths, URLs) are not only visible to that Windows user but to all users of the PC/device under the same Windows account. It may appear that a user does not want another user to see what events he has caused.

Are you aware that you probably have fringed effective EU data privacy regulations by removing the button? At least you have made your software useless for some users.

So please give back the delete button or return the money you took from your customers before having changed essential features of the software.

Ciao MFR

• Kipa68
    Kipa68 Posts: 2 Observer
    I will also cancel my order if this will not be changed soon.
  • nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder

@MFR wrote:

Hi Ville and F-Secure R&D,

Sorry, but your statement is not correct nor acceptable.

The events that contain user sensitive data (paths, URLs) are not only visible to that Windows user but to all users of the PC/device under the same Windows account. It may appear that a user does not want another user to see what events he has caused.

Are you aware that you probably have fringed effective EU data privacy regulations by removing the button? At least you have made your software useless for some users.

So please give back the delete button or return the money you took from your customers before having changed essential features of the software.

Ciao MFR

Hey,

For what it's worth there is no privacy separation for users using your machine on Windows unless you use separate Windows accounts like the operating system is designed to be used. If you want to use Windows in a secure and private way, create more accounts. (not directly related with whether or not F-Secure should or will restore the functionality to clear events)

• JL3
    JL3 Posts: 2 Observer

Perhaps someone could explain why the "clear all" option had to be removed?

It is my personal log file which I want to clear every now and then. I really should be able to.

• Kipa68
    Kipa68 Posts: 2 Observer

I understand this kind of behavior at business use but at home use I don't. I think that most of the home users don't like this. Every program seems to collect a lot of information from us. It would be nice to know what else this program collects and where the information will be sent. I understand the security point of view but this option should be possible to select during installation. I mean that you can use it or not.

• nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder

Hey,

I vaguely recall there would be a link to privacy policy from the common settings (from task tray) somewhere but maybe that's just with the latest software version. Also that just concerns the data that is actually collected for sending to F-Secure, it might not cover everything that isn't

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@Kipa68 wrote:

I understand this kind of behavior at business use but at home use I don't. I think that most of the home users don't like this. Every program seems to collect a lot of information from us. It would be nice to know what else this program collects and where the information will be sent. I understand the security point of view but this option should be possible to select during installation. I mean that you can use it or not.

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Just like addition to previous reply -> there is URL to their page for terms and policies (where possible to manage and find ones for F-Secure SAFE solution too):
    https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/legal/privacy

I think that with recent solutions should be possible to disable transferring unnecessary censored 'collected' data (as it described with Terms/Policies). While other kind of information can be transferred only by manual steps (for example, Support ticket with requested logs - which possible to inspect before further transfer to Support).

Also, there is feature-request about subject (possible to vote it):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Event-History-Clear-All/idi-p/109403

Thanks!

• JL3
    JL3 Posts: 2 Observer
    Excellent. I will renew my subscription when that is done.
  • frobisher
    frobisher Posts: 1 New Member

I also want this feature back asap. Even a delete one by one would be better than nothing. Please tell us a date when. "During Autumn" is way too vague! Thanks. mg.

• thiery68
    thiery68 Posts: 4 New Member

There is a way do delete the Event history but it is a way around:

Please follow exactly the steps in the order listed, this is to prevent you from

any harm. If you do not exactly follow this way it is in your own responsibility when

something goes wrong.

1. disconnect your W-LAN or LAN (important as you are shutting down F-Secure services).

2. Then go over Start -> Windows Administrative Tools -> Services

3. Stop following 4 services (right click and choose in pulldown "Stop"):

- F-Secure Hoster

- F-Secure Hoster (Restricted)

- F-Secure Ultralight Hoster

- F-Secure Ultralight ORSP Client

4. NOTE: from this point on you do not have any Internet Security Protection as all services are shut down now

5. Go on your Windows desktop screen -> double-click on "This PC" -> choose drive C (your system drive) -> Folder "ProgramData" (your settings must allow to show hidden items) -> F-Secure -> EventHistory

6. delete file "event" (only possible when services are stopped, otherwise you will get an alert that file

is currently in use)

7. Reboot your system and after successfully logged in Windows, F-Secure services are automatically restarted and you only must reconnect to your W-LAN or LAN

8. if you check the events you will see now an empty window.

This solution has been tested a couple of times and works without any problems.

Description based on Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 18.03 Build 17134.228

• thiery68
    thiery68 Posts: 4 New Member

It seems that some of F-Secure are not happy about my description, here we go again:

There is a way to delete the Event history but it is a way around:

All steps described are at your own risk and I recommend exactly to follow the steps in

the order listed to avoid any harm on your computer:

1. Disconnect your W-LAN or LAN (important as you are shutting down F-Secure services).

2. Then go over Start -> Windows Administrative Tools -> Services

3. Stop following 4 services (right click and choose in pulldown "Stop"):

- F-Secure Hoster

- F-Secure Hoster (Restricted)

- F-Secure Ultralight Hoster

- F-Secure Ultralight ORSP Client

4. NOTE: from this point on you do not have any Internet Security Protection as all services

are shut down now

5. Go on your Windows Desktop Screen and double-Click on "This PC" -> choose drive C (your system drive) -> Folder "ProgramData" (your settings must allow to show hidden items) -> F-Secure -> EventHistory

6. Delete the file "event" (only possible when services are stopped, otherwise you will get an alert that file

is currently in use), it is the only one existing file in this folder

7. Reboot your system and after successfully logged in Windows, F-Secure services are automatically restarted and you only must reconnect to your W-LAN or LAN

8. Go on the F-Secure tray icon on the right side of the taskbar and right click to choose in the pull-up menu the Events History. There is no entry anymore.

This has been tested a couple of times on my laptop and I didn't experience any issue.

System: Windows 10 Pro Spring Creators Update 18.03 Build 17134.228

• Hammarn
    Hammarn Posts: 1 New Member

So statement was will bring it back but as i see after lates update no reset all button existing. Is there a log file i can remove myself  manually or do I have to remove the app ?

Edit:saw post above and tried and it works fine,

Regards

Thomas 

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info