How to install F-Secure SAFE on your PC - for Virgin Media customers

Superuser

Re: How to install F-Secure SAFE on your PC - for Virgin Media customers

Scholar

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info. i've tried with no success... It still stalls saying it's trying to remove Norton 360...

This is very strange. Any other ideas? It's getting very frustrating.

Advocate

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

In case F-Secure did not identify the other AV correctly, you could also try http://www.appremover.com/  It can detect most anti-virus products, but unfortunately not all versions. I tried it and it didn't detect my newly installed Internet Security 2014 rel 2. But it may be worth a try. On top of that page there's a link "Supported Applications", with a list of applications for different OS, 32-bit and 64 bit. Several Norton 360 versions is in the list.

To see if you perhaps are infected you can try these free products: 

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/free/  (this product scans for malware types that anti-virus products usually don't)

Superuser

Just to recap, to cover the usual suspects, you've:

Run the F-Secure uninstall tool and rebooted?

Run the Virgin Media uninstall tool and rebooted?

Checked for Windows Updates?

It must be detecting some remnants of Norton 360 that the listed uninstaller isn't finding.  I would certainly try what NikK suggested above.  Failing that, we can only advise that you submit a support request, attaching an FSDIAG, and hopefully they will be able to see what's going wrong.

Scholar

Hi Simon,

Yes to all the above. If t helps i've ran the app remover that was suggested and it finds a Norton 360. I removed it and tried again but it detected it again. I then removed it again and straight away ran app remover again which found it agan....so it it's not really going.....

Superuser

I've always hated Norton because it's such a PITA to remove.  I assume you're rebooting after each attempt?  Just a thought, but how about trying the removal tool in Safe Mode?

Superuser

Advocate

Yes, the download link on that page is the same.

Superuser

Just another thought, how about trying CCleaner?  It might just find some scraps that the uninstaller left behind, or perhaps even some other debris that might be causing problems.

Scholar

Hi,

Attempting to install F-Secure Safe via the VM customer portal links. However when I get to the install stage I get an error saying my version of Windows is not supported.

I'm running Windows Vista Home 6.0. I'm not planning to upgrade my OS any time soon. 

Uninstalled all other anti-virus (including Virgin's security programme) using links provided elsewhere in this thread. 

Is there something I'mmissing or does Safe not work with Vista?

Thanks