How many licences for 3 PC's and 2 smartphones with TOTAL Security

Hi, I have searched for an answer quite some time.

I want to secure 3 PCs and 2 Android phones of 3 users. Is the 3 license package sufficient or do I need 5 licenses? Does the license model count users or actual devices? 
Thank you

Matthias

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions). So, only my own unofficial feelings based on own experience and understanding.

I want to secure 3 PCs and 2 Android phones of 3 users. Is the 3 license package sufficient or do I need 5 licenses? 

Required count is five licenses. In general, it is called as "Up to five devices*" package.

For example, with "up to three" - it is possible to install solution on three devices* (any supported platform). Any sets: two PCs and one Android phone; one PC and two Android phones; and so on.

With "up to five" - it is possible to install on three PCs and two Android phones (or any other set like: four PCs and one Android phone; and so on). Thus, all "five" licences are used with such setting.

Does the license model count users or actual devices? 

With "common" wording - actual devices*.

But, in fact, it is actual installations (design on current day). "Five licenses" that can be used for five installations. However, if all "licences" are used - then it is possible to reuse licence for fresh installation (as replacement for previous installation). Thus, possible to perform reinstallations with normal flow.

Since *devices with meanings like "system" (installation). So, if certain device with multiple systems (or, for example, virtualized system under normal system) - then it is "multiple" devices.

For example, if hardware (device) or partitions of disk with Windows 7 and Windows 10 (possible to boot one system or another) - need to use licence for both systems although it is "one" device.

Recent discussion about: https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/F-Secure-SAFE-licence-re-use/td-p/117225

In addition, just because "F-Secure Total" package is about package of solutions (F-Secure SAFE + F-Secure Freedome + F-Secure KEY + option to purchase F-Secure SENSE): "five" installation is for each solution. At least, it is possible to use "F-Secure SAFE" on five devices and "F-Secure Freedome" on five devices too. It can be different devices (set of devices).

Sounds that "F-Secure KEY" with a bit another design. Description there: https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-TOTAL/With-my-TOTAL-subscription-how/ta-p/110933

So, possible to install F-Secure KEY on five devices (five users) / five premium installations. And each installation with option to be synced with "unlimited" count of another devices.

Knowledgebase article about:

Sorry for my unclear explanation. Good if you will back with feedback.

Or to re-ask about certain parts of my words.

For some situations (family / friends), at least, F-Secure SAFE with options like "Family Rules" (kind of Parental control) and circles / invited users.

Thanks!

• Jakedo
    Jakedo Posts: 3 Observer

Thanks, Ukko, for your answers.

I was hoping that there are clear rules available somewhere but it seems not to be so clearly written down.

The FAQ link to How does F-Secure TOTAL licensing work? has an indication: "When using KEY with TOTAL, if you have a 5-device license, this means five different users can use KEY on their devices. These five users can then sync their passwords with an unlimited number of devices."

Also on "My F-Secure" it counts on the top right: Free SAFE licenses... . As the app for Android is not called "F-Secure SAFE", it seems the number of PC installations is leading and that additional Android installations are not counted.

Would be great if you or anyone could confirm this or link to the official rules. Thanks!

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Removed, as duplicate reply.

• nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder

Hey, 

Couldn't find source to back that up but my understanding is pricing model is not the same across these different components of Total product which is a source of confusion. 

• Kimmo13
    Kimmo13 Posts: 32 Contributor

Hello @Ukko 

Your endless answers are a real delight and your English is rather pleasant Smiley Wink

• Jakedo
    Jakedo Posts: 3 Observer

I have now finally tested it. I have 3 licenses for SAFE that are linked to a PC. I now wanted to add another license for a Smartphone and ... unfortunately that is not covered. Either I have to release a license from one of the 3 PCs or buy an additional license. A license is really linke to one device only. ... which is pity because other manufaturers would cover a PC and Smartphone with one license.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. And sorry if my previous replies were kind of misleading.

I have now finally tested it. I have 3 licenses for SAFE that are linked to a PC.

Original discussion under topic was about "F-Secure TOTAL" subscription (that is package of SAFE/FREEDOME/KEY solutions and licences via one subscription).

"F-Secure SAFE" subscription is only about SAFE solution and licences.

But main point of your current reply should be 'one' for both.

I now wanted to add another license for a Smartphone and ... unfortunately that is not covered.
    Either I have to release a license from one of the 3 PCs or buy an additional license

So, yes. Each device is as one license. With "up to three devices" subscription - it is only possible to use on three devices. With any variations/combos:

• two PCs and one smartphone;
    • or three smartphones;
    • or three PCs;
    • or two smartphones and one PC;
    • or other (three in total);
    which is pity because other manufaturers would cover a PC and Smartphone with one license.

Did you mean: you buy licence for "one device" and it is possible to use for two devices (PC and Smartphone)? Or there is another wording for subscription? For example, special subscription that covered devices with certain specific setting?

Other than that - F-Secure SAFE solution with support for different platforms (PCs and Smartphones).

Only each device is require own licence (from subscription).

Sorry for my reply. And sorry for my English!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info