cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I protect my child's Android device with F-Secure SAFE?

This article describes how you can protect your child's Android device with F-Secure SAFE, using the Family Rules feature. We're going to show you how to create a child profile, set up application control, time limits and content filtering for your child on this device.

First we need to send the F-Secure SAFE installation link to your child's Android device. You can do this from any device with an internet connection. In this example, we'll start using a PC:

On your PC

1. Log in to My F-Secure with your account username and password.
  2. Once you're logged in, click Add device.
  3. Select My child's device and click Continue.

If you are creating a new profile, click on the drop-down arrow, and select New child profile. Click Continue.

4. Select Phone from the device type options, and click Continue.
  5. Choose how you want to send the installation link to your child's Android device.
    1. Send by email:
      1. Enter an email address that you can access from your child's Android device.
      2. Click Send.
    2. Send by SMS:
      1. Enter your child's phone number with the country code.
      2. Click Send.

On your child's Android device

1. Now on your child's Android device, open the email or SMS containing the installation link. Tap on the provided link.
  2. Tap Install from app store.
  3. On the F-Secure SAFE Google Play Store page, tap Install > Accept.
  4. Tap Open.
  5. Read and accept the terms and conditions. Tap Accept.
  6. On the Welcome to SAFE screen, tap Continue.
  7. Create a new profile for your child. Enter the name and select the age group.
  8. Now is a good time to sit down with your child and go over Family Rules together. Tap Next.
    1. App control:

App Control lets you view installed apps remotely via your My F-Secure portal and choose whether the apps should be time-limited, allowed, or blocked completely. Time-limited apps will be blocked when the time limit is up, which we will configure later.

1. Tap Turn on App control.
      2. Choose the default setting for newly installed apps (Time-limited or Blocked).
      3. Choose how you want to limit individual installed app (Time-limited, Allowed or Blocked).
      4. Tap Next.
    2. Time limits:

Time limits allow you to control when and for how long your child can use the time-limited apps.

1. To set the daily use limits, tap Edit (pencil icon) and slide the slider to the desired time length for weekdays and weekends. Once done, tap the Tick icon to save the settings.
      2. To set bedtime (prevent device use during night-time), tap Edit (pencil icon) and specify the time frame for school nights and weekends. Once done, tap the Tick icon.
      3. Tap Next.
    3. Content filtering:

Content filtering blocks certain types of website content when browsing with the Safe Browser.

1. Select by checking the boxes the content categories you want to block for your child.
      2. Tap Next.
  9. The protection feature overview page opens. Tap Next.
  10. The Family Rules feature needs device administrator permission to protect your child from harmful content. Tap Continue.
  11. Tap Activate this device administrator.
  12. Turn on accessibility, tap Continue.
  13. Select F-Secure SAFE from the Services Accessibility list, and slide the slider to the On position.
  14. To allow F-Secure SAFE to observe actions and retrieve window content, tap OK. You may be prompted to enter the device PIN to continue.

F-Secure SAFE is now installed on your child's Android device and the child's Internet use is protected according to your setup.

To view the Family Rules settings for the child, tap Family Rules from the app's main screen.

Later, if you want to make changes to these Family Rules settings, on any device, log in to your My F-Secure account and click on the child's profile to view and change the Family Rules settings.

Pricing & Product Info

For product info and pricing please go to the F-Secure SAFE product page

Version history
Revision #:
9 of 9
Last update:
‎03-09-2018 04:17 PM
Updated by: