F-secure does not accept no for answer regarding installation of F-secure search

F-secure has displayed pop-ups about F-secure search for some time. In the beginning,

I had then pushed the button to answer later, because I wanted to check what it was first.

After having understood that is was a version of Google, I decided to decline because

I prefer to use Duckduckgo.com for privacy reasons. So next time F-secure displayed

a pop-up, I pushed the "No thanks" button, expecting the pop-up offers to disappear.

But they did not. F-secure continues to push for F-secure Search every day, no matter how many

times I answer no. It resembles Microsofts awful methods to force Windows 10

into computers with Windows 7 and 8. 

What is the matter? Why does F-secure not accept no for an answer?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply, except other meanings - there can be next points:

-> F-Secure Search is discountinued;

There should not be any prompts anymore;

-> When it was there - such situation is "not as designed";

So - there should be "No thanks"-button work as "stop displaying pop-up";

So, maybe you able to clarify:

--> What F-Secure solution there? And build?

For Windows platform -> https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Common-topics/How-can-I-find-out-what-F-Secure/ta-p/87491

--> With Technology Preview there was kind of "trouble" (with update from TP to TP builds) and there was released "tool" for removing prompt-stuck:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Home-Security/Safe-Search-prompt-after-TP191/td-p/94782

Maybe you able try this tool - since it can be useful for your situation (!?);

Thanks!

• nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder

Hey,

This is with 16.5 or older, right? There's a known problem for those. Please contact support. If the tool in beta forum helps, please comment further on that. My understanding is it won't work for much older product versions than beta

• BertilF
    BertilF Posts: 5 Explorer

Thank you both for your tips.

Yes, the version is 16.5 but not beta:

F-Secure 16.5

Antivirus 14.176 build 101
    DeepGuard 5.0 build 593
    Management Agent 8.30 build 43258
    User Interface 19.10 build 270
    Virus Protection 11.00 build 22424

I will however try the tool that was intended for beta versions, and see

if it takes away the promts.

Best regards

Bertil Friman

• Ukko

Hello,

Probably @nanonyme suggestion was proper one. Since with my F-Secure SAFE stable (16.5) installation - 'the TP-tool' crashed (also as if there 'not installed' F-Secure solution at all);

So probably tool designed to work only with tp/beta/current builds;

And was useful advice to contact Support directly (since they able to provide proper and 'designed' step-advices): https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

As another workaroud - should be helpful reinstallation (where probably will be 'fix'-status anyway; but I able to suspect that fresh installation will be with 'fresh' build as certain 'fix').

With my stable F-Secure SAFE (16.5) installation there was 'update' for Safe Search (some weeks before) - which clean up Search toolbars/addons/other points; There already not possible to re-trigger Safe Search prompt by me (?!) - so... I do not able to re-check it with my own system.

And looks like that such "clean up" was with 'missing view' for situations ... where postponed prompt.

Sorry for my long reply!

Thanks!

• BertilF

Referring to you instructions (below). The Windows platform, according to you link is:

"
    F-Secure 16.5

Common Component Framework 2.76 build 211

CCF CUIF 10.11 build 134
    CCF DAAS2 1.10 build 646
    CCF Guts2 2.05 build 134
    CCF Upstream 2.02 build 681
    CCF Diagnostics 9.05 build 278
    CCF Scanning 1.73 build 275.1078
    CCF Network 1.04 build 214
    CCF Reputation 2.1 build 1342

Copyright (c) 1993-2016 F-Secure Corporation. All rights reserved. "F-Secure" and F-logo are registered trademarks of F-Secure Corporation. F-Secure product and technology names and F-Secure logos are either trademarks or registered trademarks of F-Secure Corporation. Other product names and logos referenced herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.

This product may be covered by one or more F-Secure patents, including the following: GB2353372, GB2366691, GB2366692, GB2366693, GB2367933, GB2368233.

Portions:
       Copyright (c) 2004-2005 Metaparadigm Pte Ltd
       Copyright (c) 1996-2009 Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
       For full license information please see licenses-orsp.txt in the product installation folder.

Portions:
       Copyright (c) 1996-2001 Intel Corporation (http://www.intel.com)
       For the full license information please see licenses-CDSA.txt in the product installation directory.

Portions:
       Copyright (c) 1995-2015 International Business Machines Corporation and others
       For full license information please see icu_license.txt in the product installation directory.

Portions:
       Copyright © 2010 Jonathan Wallace
       For the full license information please see license-libjson.txt in the product installation directory.

Portions:
       Copyright (c) 1998-2011 The OpenSSL Project
       This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)

Portions:
       Qt GUI Toolkit Copyright (c) 2008-2015 Digia Corporation and/or its subsidiary(-ies), licensed under LGPL2.1 license.
       For full license information please see qt_license.txt in the product installation directory."

For full license information please see licenses-openssl.txt in the product installation folder.

Conserning the tool. I have tried it earlier without result. But I tried it again today, making sure to use the same user account. The tool does show much information. And it also does not prevent the prompt to come up:

The promt is in Swedish and reads (translated to English):

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Action center

F-secure

Activate F-secure search

Activate F-secure search

F-secure search blocks harmful web-pages to protect you web searches.

The search results are delivered by Google and the protection by F-sedure.

We recommend you to activate the F-secure search now.

Read more....

[Activate ...]                              [No thanks]

[Help]                                                                                                      [Postpone]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards

Bertil Friman

• Ukko

Hello,

Maybe you able to re-trigger update to latest F-Secure SAFE build (released recently?! probably); Maybe by running "installer" from My F-Secure Account portal;

Or does there possible to re-install F-Secure SAFE (where also will be "fresh build")?

Most likely it should be as "fix";

Or, at least, 'TP/beta fix-tool" maybe will be useful (with recent SAFE-update).

But - did you contact F-Secure Support? Does there any information from them?

// Also there maybe can be useful (for F-Secure) to receive fsdiag (transfer it to F-Secure Support by their chat-channel?!):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Common-topics/How-do-I-create-an-FSDIAG-file/ta-p/18190

Since - there already another topic with such situation - and maybe both situations about "stable" F-Secure SAFE (not as part of ISP-branding);

Or even more - maybe today there will be normal official response about situation (?!).

Sorry for my reply. Smiley Sad

Thanks!

• BertilF

Thank you both for your efforts.

If help is underway, I will leave it be,  go to the summerhouse and come back in august, to see if the the updates then makes the prompts to disappear. If not, I suppose I have to remove F-secure Anti-Virus and install it again. I Hope there will then be no problems with the license.

Best regards

Bertil Friman

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi BertilF,

Just to confirm with you, are you having SAFE or Internet Security installed on your machine? If it's SAFE, then yes, the channel upgrade is ongoing. If you're having Internet Security, please reinstall it and it should help with the problem.

• BertilF

Hi Laksh.

It is neither. I have F-secure Anti-Virus.

Best regards

Bertil Friman

• Ukko

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. Most likely -> with F-Secure AV there design as with F-Secure IS;

Based on previous official suggestion:

Laksh wrote:

Hi BertilF,

Just to confirm with you, are you having SAFE or Internet Security installed on your machine? If it's SAFE, then yes, the channel upgrade is ongoing. If you're having Internet Security, please reinstall it and it should help with the problem.

Sounds as required "reinstall it";

With subscription should be all OK (if it known for you -> subscription key/license); Proper steps to uninstall it by System Control Panel (with this step - there should not be stuck for license "in use"); If there will be "stuck" -> it possible to re-use;

Also - I not sure.. maybe available another steps to trigger update/upgrade (if it roll-out for F-Secure AV);

I not sure about "useful"-point of this suggestion -> but do you able to re-change your default browser temporary and restart system.  Like "choose another browser" as default browser under system settings; And then restart system; Does there will be still stuck with Safe Search prompt?

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info