F-Secure won't let Steam update my game (Virus Blocked)

F-Secure is detecting an update to a game as a virus (Variant.Barys.835).

I cannot dismiss the Virus Blocked dialog, at most I can tell it to Block the file only, with the intention of unblocking it. However when I do the file is not present in the blocked files list. (Tasks -> Allow a program to start)

I also cannot find out how to whitelist applications - this dialog does not all me to add anything to the list.

I unloaded F-Secure while I let Steam update and that worked. For 10 minutes. It then blocked it again this time from its updated location and the whole process repeats.

F-Secure sure has a grudge against this file, how do I tell it to leave it alone!?

(Yes I know I could disable deep guard, or F-Secure itself, but then whats the point of having them?)

Thanks!

Sj

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

From the help file, section "View excluded applications":

Note: If the application behaves like a virus or other malicious software, it cannot be excluded.

You cannot exclude applications directly. New applications appear on the exclusion list only if you exclude them during scanning.

If you didn't report it already you can do that here: http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-samples/sas as a "false positive".

I assume you're not just guessing/hoping that the file really is clean?! Try scanning it on https://www.virustotal.com/

Note that both link services mentioned has max file size limitations.

Give Kudos to say "thanks". Click "Accept as Solution" to inform others when your issue's been solved
    Need more help? Submit a Support Request or chat / call F-Secure support
  • sjf
    sjf Posts: 3

Hi NikK,

Thank you! Your reply was helpful.

I am unimpressed with F-Secure but I know what I have to do play my game now.

Though, what would scanning it on VirusTotal do that scanning with F-Secure does not? If VirusTotal has a more complete signiature database or better heuristics, why are they not inbuilt into F-Secure?

Kind regards,

Sj

• NikK

VirusTotal is a multi-engine scanner, at the moment 48 different scanners and F-Secure is only one of them. There are 47 others!

My point being that if only F-Secure detects something then it may be a false-positive, a clean file.

But if other engines detect something too then it's probably a virus, and F-Secure was right in blocking it.

• sjf
    sjf Posts: 3

I see, thanks!

(On the Steam forums a number of other people are having the same issue. Some AV's flag it, others do not.)

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

A rather apt thread to become Esteamed, Nik! 

• NikK

Ha ha, thanks! I didn't get it first but then I saw the on purpose misspelling, very funny Smiley Wink

I haven't quite figured out how it works yet, but you must definitely be next in line! A guess is it's perhaps kudos and solutions within a certain time span, but I really have no idea. Perhaps @Chrissy knows?

A completely different thing: No F-Secure users seem to have problems any more now that probably all VMS transitions are done Smiley Wink The Christmas and New Years festival were a different story......

My conclusion is all F-Secure products are working flawlessly around the world at the moment. Fantastic! Smiley Very Happy

• Simon

@NikK wrote:

Ha ha, thanks! I didn't get it first but then I saw the on purpose misspelling, very funny Smiley Wink

I haven't quite figured out how it works yet, but you must definitely be next in line! A guess is it's perhaps kudos and solutions within a certain time span, but I really have no idea. Perhaps @Chrissy knows?

I think it's who they like best.  Smiley Very Happy  But, to be fair, you have far greater technical knowledge than me, and your answers are always very detailed.  In my opinion, you deserved the elevation purely for your coding work in the .pst folders thread.  Smiley Wink

@NikK wrote:
    A completely different thing: No F-Secure users seem to have problems any more now that probably all VMS transitions are done Smiley Wink The Christmas and New Years festival were a different story......

My conclusion is all F-Secure products are working flawlessly around the world at the moment. Fantastic! Smiley Very Happy

Yes, it has certainly been quieter around here this week.  I guess the supply of Virgin victims customers was bound to dry up eventually.  Either that, or we've nagged F-Secure so much that the product is now flawless.  Smiley Wink

• NikK

"But, to be fair, you have far greater technical knowledge than me, and your answers are always very detailed.  In my opinion, you deserved the elevation purely for your coding work in the .pst folders thread"

Well, I'm a true geek so to write some code to solve a problem that F-Secure apparently can't solve was no big deal Smiley Wink

No seriously, we all contribute in our own way and I think we contributors complement each other well(incl. "friendly-spammer" Rusli ;-) While my posts sometimes may be too technical & long, I'm certain most users appreciate "easier" posts than mine sometimes. The thing is we never really know the technical skill of a user but we should assume most users want it as easy as possible.

To be fair, in the last 6 months it's only you, me and Blackcat who have spent almost every day here, many hours a day helping users. If it weren't for us F-Secure staff would have to work 10 times as much or many threads would have no answers.

• NikK

Why did I write so much when a picture says more than a thousand words Smiley Wink

Kudos6m.png

• Simon

Oh, he's Honoured now!  Do we need to bow?   

Congratulations to you too, Sir Blackcat! 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

As far as I'm concerned, the three of you are certainly valued, trusted, and honored!

It's true, you all have your own niche here, and our automated rank system judges it more analytically than perhaps we see it, but I'm pretty sure Simon's "promotion" is just a few kudos away Smiley Wink

And congrats NikK and Blackcat for yours!

• Simon

Aww... 

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info