F-Secure online scanner: Internet Explorer cannot show the page

I tried F-Secure online scanner, loaded F-SecureOnlineScanner.exe and run it.

Result: "Internet Explorer ei voi näyttää WWW-sivua" on the task bar. It does not show anything else, like any openable window, it is just on the taskbar as if it would be minimized window.

System: 

HP Pavilion dv6500

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53

3.0 GB RAM (originally 2.0 GB)
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 (Finnish)

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Did that message appear directly when you started OnlineScanner?

OnlineScanner "FAQ, known issues and limitations" maybe can help:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-Online-Scanner-All-You/m-p/42449/highlight/true#M7883

Give Kudos to say "thanks". Click "Accept as Solution" to inform others when your issue's been solved

Need more help? Submit a Support Request or chat with or call F-Secure support. Or try the User Guides

• Markus3D
    Markus3D Posts: 2

Yes, I just retried after reading the OnlineScannerFAQ from the link you provided. I restored IE default settings and tried Online scanner. When IE asked if to run or save the exe-file, I selected "run" and waited until with F-Secure-logo on taskbar I got that same note in Finnish that IE cannot show the page. No any notification window on desktop. So no difference in results. I do not even get information, what page IE should be able to open. That information would help a bit more in trying to track the problem. Is there some default (full, exact) page, which it would be to open by Online Scanner afte running it?

EDIT:

Here more details, how I follow the instructions:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/How-can-I-use-F-Secure-Online/ta-p/28502

Spoiler
    Question

How can I use F-Secure Online Scanner?
    Answer

F-Secure Online Scanner is easy to use with just a couple of clicks:

1. Download the F-SecureOnlineScanner.exe file to your computer.
       2. Run it. A welcome window opens. You may change the language from the drop-down menu.
       3. Select Start.
       4. Accept the end user license terms.
       5. F-Secure Online Scanner starts scanning your computer for harmful items. If harmful items are found, you must restart your computer and run the scan again. You may need to restart your computer more than once.

When the scan is complete a report is shown. Online Scanner does not leave anything on your PC.

How I advanced:
    1. Downloaded successfully.
    2. Ran it.

And that's it. No "Welcome" -windows or anything. Just only mark about running is the mentioned IE cannot etc. as usual thingy.

• NikK

I did a test and it doesn't try to connect to internet until after the welcome screen and you accept the license terms. So in your case it's probably a different problem than OnlineScanner trying to access a "web page", even though the IE message says that.

I think you should submit a Support Request and attach an FSDIAG file to it so support can look at your log files.

Here's what happens if OnlineScanner doesn't have internet access. When you start it you should first see this:

OnlineScanner.png

When you click Start you'll be asked to accept the License terms. When you accept them you'll see this:

OnlineScannerInit.png

After a few seconds it will fail because there's no internet access, and will show this message:

OnlineScannerNoNetw.png

My firewall log says it's actually not the OnlineScanner exe that wants to connect to Internet, but a temp file it creates called "fsremoval.dat". Anyway, I think support is your best option if you don't get any other replies here.

• Ais
    Ais Posts: 5 Observer

>...After a few seconds it will fail because there's no internet access, and will show this message:

In my case, it shows the 'no network connection' message immediately after I clicked the START. I am SURE it costs less than 2 seconds(I felt in ms range, however, I don't have a tool to quantitify it. )

• Ais
    Ais Posts: 5 Observer

I  have done an experiment.

Beside the troubled desktop PC, I tested on an notebook(Windows xp professional SP3) used the downloaded F-SecureOnlineScanner.exe (version 5.1.254.23) file.

The phenomina are the same as the desktop PC. However, F-SecureOnlineScanner Did work well with the notebook PC outside China. I am almost sure the download database process has been blocked by the Great(VV)all.

• NikK

I did an experiment too with and without allowing internet access to Online Scanner, plus searching for log files.  Win 7. Online Scanner file version 5.2.11.72 

Without internet access the log says: Could not setup scanning enviroment

With internet access it logs several things, starting with:

updates #17: type hydrawin version 1405528837 cookie b4f1f53d segmentation N/A

The log is deleted or overwritten when you close Online Scanner or do a re-scan. The log file was:

C:\Users\USERNAME\appdata\local\temp\3a130b7c-51ce-48dd-84b0-4bfbfb93ea97\removal-tool\fsremoval.dat.log

Maybe someone from F-Secure can provide more information about this log info or help with troubleshooting steps?!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hey ho. There are two independent problems:

"Could not setup scanning environment" in logs and "Could not start the scan" error screen point to network connectivity problems. Online Scanner 5.x throws this error when it cannot download engines or cannot access the cloud backend. The problem is caused by some proxy, some firewalls, occassional flicks in the network. We solved it in the next Online Scanner 6.x that has improved proxy support.

"Internet Explorer cannot show the page", though, is very different thing. "The page" is Online Scanner itself. It is JavaScript-powered IE component. As you already mentioned it can be caused by IE security settings, but there can be other reasons. Yes, we sometimes receive such issue from the fields but so far were not able to pin point it. The new Online Scanner may have it fixed. If it happens with 6.x, let's return to the topic.

D.K.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info