cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-Secure gone wild with blocking websites

Em
Scholar

F-Secure gone wild with blocking websites

All of a sudden yesterday F-Secure started blocking multiple web sites as harmful. These include sites that I have used for a long time, some even for years. For example, when trying to access www.policymic.com, I get a notification saying that harmful webpage, http://js-agent.newrelic.com/nr-100.js, has been blocked. In several instances the reference is to some apis.google.com address. What is going on? Why are, for example, my local news sites such as yle.fi or mtv.fi all of a sudden supposedly harmful? And why is the address that F-Secure reports to have blocked not the same as the one I was in fact trying to access (i.e. js-agent.newrelic.com vs. policymic.com in the above example)? I have not installed anything new lately, in fact, I have a separate account for admin rights and usually browse the web as a regular user without admin rights for this computer.

I'm ashamed to admit, I know very little about these things. Any help would be very much appreciated!

15 REPLIES 15
Superuser

Re: F-Secure gone wild with blocking websites

I'm having the same problem this morning, but with Malwarebytes blocking all of Google.com's IPs, from 173.194.41.176-180.  There's a post on MWB's forums saying it's 'Not a F/P", which I assume to mean not a false positive, but no further information is given, and I can't even join the forum to ask, as the stupid security code box requires when registering isn't visible in any browser I've tried!

F-Secure, perhaps coincidentally, found one item of 'Riskware' this morning, so I've since been frantically scanning with all sorts of adware / malware scanners, all of which have come up clean.

As Google.com is also being blocked by MWB on my laptop, I've concluded that it's not a local infection, but it would be useful to know what's going on.

Superuser

By the way, I'm even getting alerts when on this forum, so I'm assuming there must be some sort of association with Google.com somewhere.

Incidentally, Google.co.uk is not affected.

Em
Scholar

Thank you, Simon, for your reply. Good to know at least that it's nothing I did!

Advocate

I tried all sites you both mentioned including the .fi ones. No sites blocked. At least not a "visible" block.

When I check the statistics for Online Safety and change from All to Day it says only 1 potentially harmful block. As it was no visual block that I could see, it's probably a .js file or similar (javascript)

OSstats.png

Em, what does the statistics say on your PC?

And the notification you get, does is look something like this?

BPblocked.png

Superuser

My F-Secure shows no sites blocked today either.  Perhaps it's just a coincidence that MWB is blocking Google.com at the moment? 

Nik, do you have MWB, and is it blocking the IP range I mentioned above?

Em
Scholar

This is embarrassing, but I cannot find any statistics on blocked web sites from my F-Secure. The only statistics I can find look like this ("tilastot" is statistics in Finnish): F-S-tilastot.PNG

The notification I get looks similar, although it's in Finnish:

F-S.PNG

Advocate

I just noticed that MWB haven't been updated in 2 days. I updated and guess what, those Google IPs are now blocked by MWB!

The person saying on MWB forum that it's not a FP has not explained why, but I guess we have to assume these sites are not safe for now.

Em, when you launch F-Secure, click on Online Safety and not Computer Security. Then Settings, and Statistics.

Superuser

I'm surprised there's not more about this on the MWB forums, as it must be affecting lots of users.
Scholar

Just noticed the same issue suddenly, e.g. articles on http://hs.fi are getting blocked because F-secure prevents loading of https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js which is apparently the JS code used by the Google+ social button.