F-Secure continues to persecute a file after I excluded it.

Hey there!

F-Secure customer here (loving it), but also an avid gamer and a continued windows XP user. I've run into a little problem with the F-Sec problem that I have not been able to fix. Maybe you nice people could help me out, because I'm about to turn the program off in despair.

The newest and latest games, have all taken to excluding windows XP from their line of support. This includes X-COM: enemy unknown. This game simply wouldn't start on Windows XP.

Luckily, the community surrounding it has come up with an elegant solution!

Read this!

The jest of it is that friendly modders have created their own DLL files with 32-bit WinXP code and have shown us a way to use a XVI32 to force the game to use these files!

So happy! Game runs perfectly and I trust that person enough to use these files.

Heavy stuff. Problem is, F-Secure agrees and zealously destroys my newly patched files whenever I try to run them.

It comes up with a "Gen:Variant.Barys.508" error and eliminates my newly modded exe, corrupting the game and preventing me from playing.

I've already tried to exclude both the files and the Steam Directory in which they are present through the options, but F-Secure doesn't seem to listen to me. 

For now, my only solution is turning off F-Sec whenever I want to play XCOM and unplugging the Internet cable for good measure. It's such an inelegant solution however, so if someone could show me a way to actually make F-Sec respect my decision to exclude certain files, I'm stuck with a customer unfriendly virus scanner

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Skirlasvoud,

Kindly check your exclusions again with the steps below.

F-Secure Internet Security/ Anti-virus 2011:
    1. On real time scanning. Open F-Secure > Settings > Computer > Virus and spyware scanning.

2. On manual scanning. Open F-Secure > Settings > Computer > Manual scanning.

- Click 'Open excluded items list' on the right panel.
    - Select Objects tab, tick on 'Exclude objects (files, folders,...)' and click on the Add button below.
    - Locate your software path and select on the executable file and click OK.
    - Click OK again to close the settings and try to launch the software again.

F-Secure Internet Security/ Anti-virus 2013:
    1. Real time scanning. Open F-Secure > Computer Security > Settings > Computer Security > Virus and spyware scanning.

2. Manual scanning. Open F-Secure > Computer Security > Settings > Other Security > Manual scanning.

- Click 'Exclude files from the scan..' on the right panel.
    - Select Objects tab, tick on 'Exclude objects (files, folders,...)' and click on the Add button below.
    - Locate your software path and select on the executable file and click OK.
    - Click OK again to close the settings and try to launch the software again.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

•  

No good Jayson. F-Sec still cracks down on the modified application.

By the way, I selected "Open Excluded Item list" and went through your described steps there. Couldn't find "Exlude Files from the scan..."

This time, I also checked manual scanning, but other than that, I already carried out all the other steps.

The only difference when I put things on the exclusion list, is that F-Sec removes the file sporadically, instead of immidiatly after the modification.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Skirlasvoud,

Which F-Secure version you are using? Can you paste the print screen of the F-Secure pop up window here for us to investigate further?

Best regards,

Gary

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 147 Superuser

Hello,

Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to use exclusions.

If you think the file is non-malicious and the virus alert is a false one, send the particular file in e-mail attachment to "samples at f-secure dot com" or upload it via the web at "https://analysis.f-secure.com/" for analysis.

The F-Secure virus research lab staff will soon correct the false alarm via the Cloud or issue a database update fix and the same problem will be gone for everybody in the world, not just you!

Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info