F-Secure and Mac email app

Uhm... F-Secure for Mac seems to not check for Virus coming from email!

I've sent myself a message with the classic EICA string "X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*" as text body but the email was not blocked and reached my inbox folder

Am I wrong or F-Secure is not so "secure" for Mac users?

/Ste

Comments

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 147 Superuser

Hello,

Is it blocked if you send it in an e-mail file ATTACHMENT?

(Modern AV works selectively, if a particular location or file type cannot cause infection, it will not waste effort to scan it.)

Sincerely: Tamas Feher from Hungary.

• lexan
    lexan Posts: 3

> Is it blocked if you send it in an e-mail file ATTACHMENT?

> (Modern AV works selectively, if a particular location or file type cannot cause infection, it will not waste effort to scan it.)

It isn't [blocked]! Neither when you open the file containing the EICAR string.

But the thing that alarmed me is the fact that F-Secure doesn't check zipped files so I can, unconsciuonsly, forward zipped files that contain viruses

/Ste

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi lexan,

With regards to your problem, I would like you to know that if you paste the eicar string in a notepad file and attach it to your email then our F-Secure for Mac will capture it as an infection due to our Real Time Scanner only scans the binary of the file instead of the name. When you send the email with eicar string it will not capture it as there is no activation method available. Moreover the reason why we don't scan encrypted zipped file is because once you encrypt the data, it might not be visible for us to scan as it will be encrypted. The data which is zipped normally is unexecutable so its safe. Once you have unzipped the file our Real Time Scanner will immediately scan the file.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jagadesan

• lexan
    lexan Posts: 3

You're right; I verified it.

BTW I would appreciate that F-Secure inspected zip files and warned if an encrypted zip file was found

/stefano

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info