F-Secure Safe should allow browsing with Chrome on child's Android device

Hi,

I've setup F-Secure Safe on my child's Android device. The default browser is set to be Chrome in device settings. Still each link opens with F-Secure Safe Browser and even launching Chrome app actually starts Safe Browser. How can I allow child to use Chrome browser? If I switch myself as a user in F-Secure Safe then Chrome opens as intended.

LG Nexus 5X Android 7.1.2.

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi VilleKr,

Since it happens on the child user profile (but not when you switch to your user), my guess would be due to Content FIltering. As mentioned in this article, content filter is enabled on Safe Browser in Android. Please also check this article regarding Family Rules which also has some additional information about Content Filtering and Family Rules.

In order to enable the Content Filtering for the child, it launches in Safe Browser everytime.

• VilleKr
    VilleKr Posts: 2 New Member

I've disabled content filtering for child. Still Safe Browser opens for every link and even when opening Chrome. Clearly the app is not behaving the way I expect it to work.

• llentjes
    llentjes Posts: 2 New Member

We understand that In Safe for Android, for the child profile, the default browser is always Safe Browser.

BUT: we also would lik e to exclude some websites from being checked.

in my case I am using "Sticky Password" as an password manager for my kid. In the childs profile it is blocked.

I would like to exclude this site from being check within safe browsing, or I would like to disable  safe browsing.

Now the only solution is to deinstall f-secure safe completly.

Please offer a solution.

• Bock0030
    Bock0030 Posts: 1 Observer

I'm interested in parental controle for the options to limit the time on the device, "timemanagement". I'm not interested in the Safe Browser and would like to let my child make use of Ghostery browser for example. F-Secure forces the obligation to use exclusively the F-Secure Safe Browser.

Please look at another way to split the options of timemanagement and safe browsing. Make it a choice and not an obligation.

• Victory
    Victory Posts: 1 New Member

Agree, make use of safe browser an option rather than obligatory. This is really annoying and means that when clicking a link in an app results in diversion to safe browser but with loss of hyperlink. Useless.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@Victory wrote:

Agree, make use of safe browser an option rather than obligatory. This is really annoying and means that when clicking a link in an app results in diversion to safe browser but with loss of hyperlink. Useless.

Hello,

I'm also only an F-Secure user (their home solutions). But if F-Secure Safe Browser is default browser - does it possible to receive normal result?

By default - with meanings that there is no 'redirect' from Google Chrome (or another browser) to Safe Browser; but website is opened under Safe Browser from first.

Thanks!

• DanTucny
    DanTucny Posts: 1 New Member

This is really not a solution. Even with content filtering disabled, the Google app and other browsers are blocked and Safe Browser is launched in their place. This is really frustrating, this functionality must be possible to disable when content filtering is disabled.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@DanTucny wrote:

This is really not a solution. Even with content filtering disabled, the Google app and other browsers are blocked and Safe Browser is launched in their place. This is really frustrating, this functionality must be possible to disable when content filtering is disabled.

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

So, it is only unofficial feelings: I think that maybe Safe Browser is not pinned to 'content filtering' only.

But main reason is ability to block harmful and suspicious rated pages (which maybe start be not possible to do with third-party browsers after some changes with Android OS or applications).

But I feel that indeed there should be options to not use Safe Browser (even with kids profile).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info