F-Secure SAFE messing with latest version of Malwarebytes

I had to uninstall due to it messing with Malwarebytes anti Malware, i suspect there might be a conflict 

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Tell me about it!  I also had to uninstall MWB 3.0, as it rendered my machine unusable with F-Secure on board as well.

There is stuff on the Malwarebytes forum about this, but to be honest, my personal opinion (which could be wrong), is that the new MWB is now treading on the toes of F-Secure, and other main brand security suites, in trying to be a complete anti-virus solution, and therefore is no longer compatible as a second level of protection.

• draph91
    draph91 Posts: 11 New Member

actually I uninstalled F-Secure

• Simon

OK, I guess a choice had to be made.  I've yet to decide, but will probably just go back to MBAM 2.2 for now, as it and FS used to run happily alongside each other.

• DerekL
    DerekL Posts: 1 New Member

I have updated from Malwarebytes Premium 2.?   to 3.0.5 today and am now getting the "Unable to connect to service" error
    I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit installed and also use TalkTalk Supersafe 16.5 (F-Secure)

TalkTalk SuperSafe 16.5

Computer Security 14.176 build 101
    DeepGuard 5.0 build 593
    E-mail Filtering 1.02 build 22223
    Management Agent 8.30 build 43258
    User Interface 19.10 build 270
    Virus Protection 11.00 build 22424

Through trial and error spending quite a few hours to identify the problem, I have found that switching off the DeepGuard feature in TalkTalk Supersafe 16.5 (F-Secure) allows me to connect to the service everytime. Switching it back on again it reverts to the "Unable to connect to service" error.
    Switching off the Virus Protection feature has no affect on the connection.

• TT33B
    TT33B Posts: 2 New Member

I am sure in older versions of F-Secure you could manually exclude files from Deepguard, but this does not seem possible anymore.  So therefore to get Malwarbytes v3 to work you have to turn off Deepguard.

For the V3 of Malwarebytes they are saying there is no need to run other AV software anymore, but that it will work with other AV software working if you wish to keep running other AV.  Seems F-Secure is the exception.

• Simon

I believe there is a conflict, and there's quite a lot of discussion about it on Malwarebytes forum. Once suggested remedy has been to place Malwarebytes in the F secure exclusions list, but I'm not sure what effect this has, if any. I suspect that Malwarebytes has simply become too close to an antivirus product, and therefore there will be conflicts, with two types of the same software being on one machine.

• redvet
    redvet Posts: 40 Explorer

So - is F-Secure SAFE not safe without the addition of  another anti malware programme ?

I am  trialling Emisoft using Vivaldi browser exclusively for my online banking with Antilogger added but still considering returning to F-Secure.  Now I am not so sure.

• TT33B
    TT33B Posts: 2 New Member

This issue isn't caused by F-Secure, it is Malwarebytes.  I have run F-Secure and Malwarebytes together for years, it is only the latest update to Malwarebytes that is causing the issue.

But saying that there is no guarantee that what you are testing will not cause conflicts...like with any other AV.

• redvet
    redvet Posts: 40 Explorer

Doesn't really answer the point I raised does it but this posting is probably not the correct one for my question. I will raise the point in a new topic .

• Simon

@TT33B wrote:

This issue isn't caused by F-Secure, it is Malwarebytes.  I have run F-Secure and Malwarebytes together for years, it is only the latest update to Malwarebytes that is causing the issue.

But saying that there is no guarantee that what you are testing will not cause conflicts...like with any other AV.

Malwarebytes, of course, are blaming F-Secure for not whitelisting MWB in Deepguard.  Suggestions have been to run DG in Compatibility Mode, but that would compromise security in DG.   As you said, it's the latest version of Malwarebytes which is causing the issues so, in my opinion, it's Malwarebytes which should sort out the problems. It is them who claimed that their software is compatible with other antivirus software, so it is up to them to make sure that their claims stand up, not up to F-Secure to make their products compatible when they do not claim it to be so.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Sorry for my reply.

If they think that DeepGuard compatibility mode will be helpful (looks like that there is can be broken "integrity check") - but what about not "compatibility mode" for all... But just add "related" files to the exclusion list for real-time scanning (manual scanning)? At least for latest builds (as stable; and certainly for tp) this settings should work DeepGuard too (like it will be excluded from DeepGuard checks);

There is anyway will be trouble?

• Vidarr
    Vidarr Posts: 1 New Member

Malwarebytes is having issues with other solid anti-malware products, such as Comodo. F-Secure and Comodo are my two favorite products in this market...malwarebytes is a good supplemental product (belt and suspenders) -- at least normally. But, when two different products have issues, the problem would seem to be MalwareBytes.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info