F-Secure SAFE compatible with Win 8.1 yet?

Is SAFE now compatible with WIN 8.1? (and IE11).

It is not listed on the system requirements page; http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_gb/safe

Comments

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

A bump on this one.

But apparently F-Secure SAFE is F-Secure 2013 and not 2014.

Maybe this is why it is given away for free for 12 months to Virgin Media customers. If true, this is not great for those users bought/buying a new computer over the holidays with WIN 8.1.

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer
    F-Secure 2014 or FS 2013 - doesn't matter actually, subscription is product based and not version.
  • Blackcat

It does if the F-Secure SAFE is restricted to 2013 version and it cannot be upgraded.

As far as I know only F-Secure 2014 version is fully compatible with WIN 8.1 (IE11).

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Why do you suspect it is 2013? I can't find any information about versions, indicating it would be the latest. If not, it sounds almost like a kind of ISP version. And you can't upgrade ISP versions yourself from F-Secure web site.

• Blackcat

@NikK 

I have been in touch with a number of users over on the Virgin Media Forums who have had problems with WIN 8.1. They contacted F-Secure support and were told that the SAFE version is not compatible with WIN 8.1, as it is F-Secure 2013.

If they wanted to use WIN 8.1 they would have to switch to FSIS 2014.

Hopefully an F-Secure expert can confirm this information on the official Forum.

• NikK

Oh, I see Smiley Embarassed

So is this version to be compared to an ISP version or is it perhaps possible to upgrade? (a Q to F-Secure)

• Stephan
    Stephan Posts: 340 Influencer

Good morning and Happy New Year!

F-Secure SAFE includes the latest version, always.

Currently that is F-Secure Internet Security 2014 Release 2, which is Windows 8.1 compatible.

Best regards,
    Stephan

• Blackcat

Yet another example of F-Secure Support not being consistent in their response. 

I have no doubt that Stephan is correct but why then is some part of the Support chain telling Virgin Media customers that F-Secure SAFE is F-Secure Internet Security 2013 ONLY! See for example; http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/F-Secure-SAFE-and-windows-8-1/td-p/2128364

• Stephan

Hello Blackcat,

Thank you for relaying this information to the Virgin Media community!

I'm terribly sorry about the obviously wrong communication you reported.
    Sadly I'm unable to find that support request without details from the user opening that request.
    So, I can't see what went wrong when, where and why.

However, I'll make sure to brief all of our customer care staff to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Best regards,

Stephan

• Blackcat

@Stephan 

comments on this post? http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/F-Secure-SAFE-and-windows-8-1/td-p/2128364

"Here is the quote that comes up when you register with F-secure SAFE before the download bit and it quotes " F-Secure Internet Security 2013 protects the content on your computer and safeguards you when you are browsing the web. Computer security is protection against viruses, spyware, hacker attacks and identity theft. Online safety is protection against harmful websites, getting fooled during any activities online or protecting your children against unwanted websites or uncontrolled online life. Easy to install and does not slow down your computer. Comes with online chat or phone support. F-Secure Internet Security 2013 will protect you."

There is no updating the product either when i installed it. It also comes up internet security 2013 and if you check on what F-secure is saying you can download the release 2 of the new 2014 internet security through the SAFE portal but when you go there is the 2013 version." 

• NikK

A related Q so we can help out better in the future:

Does the SAFE portal have an upgrade function in it and/or does upgrading from the common Downloads work for SAFE too?

My understanding is that SAFE is just a bundle of different products, and that the portal will simplify the overview and administration of those products.

• Blackcat

NikK

No visible upgrade in the portal;

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-1-4_18-1-39_No-00.png 

No idea whether simply downloading from common downloads will work for SAFE users.

But the SAFE network installer.exe picks up the latest version of F-Secure i.e. the 2014 release 2 IS and so the latest version is eventually installed;  http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-IS-version-in-F-SAFE/td-p/40849

• Stephan

Hello!

Thanks for reporting this. It is just an error in the "read more" text - we'll fix that asap.

The "read more" mentions 2013 but you always get the latest version when clicking download, currently that is Internet Security 2014 Release 2.

The installer from the downloads page will not work with SAFE. SAFE customers please only install from the portal.

Best regards,

Stephan

• Stephan

Hello,

We've fixed the text now. Sorry again for any confusion this has caused!

Cheers,
    Stephan

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info