F-Secure SAFE Network Usage Suspension

Hello,

Periodically, even in gaming mode, the F-Secure Host Process will eat all of my bandwidth for anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes.  Admittedly, I'm only on an 8mb connection, but it's a hindrance if I happen to be playing a game.

Turning on gaming mode as well as disabling all security features temporarily has not done anything to solve the problem for me, is there any way to suspend all network traffic temporarily?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Maybe it is good to know what is your platform. Is it Windows?

I did not try to perform such a check about network usage by F-Secure processes, but I probably did not encounter such an impact yet.

Though, my experience was about one of "previously beta" technologies (currently, used by stable F-Secure solutions as stable state of technology) where certain activities will impact other network-connected devices and its bandwidth. But such things like "Gaming mode" or "do nothing on your own" (do not start the scanning process or so) was a "solution".

Turning on gaming mode as well as disabling all security features temporarily has not done anything to solve the problem for me, is there any way to suspend all network traffic temporarily?

Thus, I think that something wrong and maybe good to contact their official Support Channel for proper investigation:

Otherwise, I think that another option / workaround is only F-Secure Hoster services that are completely disabled (stopped). Although, it is possible to do so (or close to such state) by user with Administrative right - I am not sure that these are recommended steps (or even suitable steps).

So, I think that it is good to ask F-Secure Support for their advice.

As own tries to troubleshoot: if it is possible to clearly repeat trouble - does there anything as trigger for such network usage? For example, is it only during playing a game?

Good if there will be response from F-Secure Teams. Or even advice from more experienced users.

Sorry for my English.

Thanks!

• RobertHB
    RobertHB Posts: 3 New Member
    No need to apologize!

It is a Windows 10 Pro x64 system, but the Host Process still notes it's running 32-bit.

There doesn't seem to be any trend, it occurs arbitrary of what I'm doing. After I noticed it I started leaving a ping test and task manager open on another monitor, and whenever I see it hit 7% of network usage (7mb of a 100mb Ethernet card, so effectively my bandwidth), I know it's occurring again.

I've confirmed it happens with and without my own network traffic though, or at least as close to it as possible (I haven't gone through and disabled all the windows services that could make connections on their own). If I had to guess, I'd say when it's searching for new virus definitions and finds a few to download, or something along those lines? Given my connection, it could easily clog the whole thing up with what would normally be considered negligible traffic.

I'll definitely reach out to a direct line once they're available (looks like Mon-Fri), but I'm impatient so I figured I'd at least ask around here XD

Thanks for the reply!
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my long reply.

It is a Windows 10 Pro x64 system, but the Host Process still notes it's running 32-bit.

I think that it is normal (F-Secure Host Process 32bit).

But since your experience is about Windows 10 - there was a discussion about its design with shutdown (when it is not a real "shutdown"). Do you use restarts for system (rather than "shutdown" and then boot up system)? Most of another discussions were about "CPU/RAM usage and so" (and I do not remember about Network usage) - but what if it is in somehow related and restart can be useful for some time.

My network speed is around your one (less a little be). Thus, I think that I should feel it pretty well when it is used fully. But all of such situations can be sorted by the mentioned workarounds (or even triggered by me).

If I had to guess, I'd say when it's searching for new virus definitions and finds a few to download, or something along those lines? Given my connection, it could easily clog the whole thing up with what would normally be considered negligible traffic.

In fact, it should be an explanation or reason. But "Gaming mode" should pause such activities (when "gaming mode" is enabled - automatic updates are postponed / paused. Possible to trigger them manually or by turning off Gaming mode).

But when "Turn off all security features" in use -> likely that updates are still applied (if Gaming mode is not chosen).

Another suspicion is "scanning". But if all security features are disabled - then it is strange if anything scanned (Browsing Protection module is included).

I'll definitely reach out to a direct line once they're available (looks like Mon-Fri), but I'm impatient so I figured I'd at least ask around here XD

In general, chat can be available on weekends too. In fact, with my own experience - I do not able to receive "chat window" at the right bottom of page (something ?! block it?!).

There was, also, a reply with such meanings (but I already do not able to find it).

So, I am not sure that such option (chat on weekends) is still available. But, at least, "Support" page still with words about chat itself """"You can chat with our experts by clicking the chat button on the bottom right."""" ;

I think that Support Agents with powerful ability to find a reason and explanation for your trouble. Thus, good if you will reach them!

Thanks!

• RobertHB
    RobertHB Posts: 3 New Member
    I power down the PC completely at the end of each day, but I haven't turned fast startup off, so I'm trying that now and I'll monitor for a change.

Yeah, trying to turn the whole thing off was kinda me grasping at straws, I just tossed out the fact that I had tried it in case it was something that might be recommended. I did have both gaming mode and disabled security active at once though, provided disabling it doesn't turn gaming mode back off.

I did check out the support page, and at the very least, the chat is already closed today/was closed at the time (I'm aware chat teams are generally pretty small, so for all I know it was staffed by one person and they went for break, which is understandable).

If this doesn't seem to make a difference, and it'll probably be a little while before I can say for certain whether it has or has not, I'll hop by and see if chat is available, but hopefully it is just the application suspension causing problems.

Thanks for all the help, we'll see how this turns out!

Hi @RobertHB 

Thanks for the report and good work on trying different things. If you can contact support and provide them with support tool output (fsdiag.zip) then we will in R&D investigate this much easier. Remember to include exact timestamps when it happened. For now, if you identify the fshoster32.exe which uses network traffic, is it running as SYSTEM, Network Service or your user account?

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info