F-Secure Host Process

Highlighted
Aspirant

F-Secure Host Process

On my PC running Windows Vista and F-Secure Internet Security I sometimes get a message that the F-Secure Host Process has been stopped. Is this anything to worry about (and in that case, what should I do)? After this occured I checked the status of F-Secure and it says that the computer is protected. Tried to reach F-Secure both by phone and chat, but none of them worked. Hope I can get support here.

14 REPLIES 14
Superuser

Re: F-Secure Host Process

Which version of Vista are you running? I believe only Vista SP2 and later is supported. If you are running an earlier version, that could be part of the problem. Also, do you have any other security software installed, which could be conflicting with FS? I would also suggest, as a second opinion, scanning with a third party product, such as Malwarebytes, just to check that there's nothing sinister on your machine.
Aspirant

Re: F-Secure Host Process

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Vista Business SP2. As far as I know there is no other anti-virus software or similar running on this computer.

Senior Member

Re: F-Secure Host Process


@Simon wrote:
Which version of Vista are you running? I believe only Vista SP2 and later is supported. If you are running an earlier version, that could be part of the problem. Also, do you have any other security software installed, which could be conflicting with FS? I would also suggest, as a second opinion, scanning with a third party product, such as Malwarebytes, just to check that there's nothing sinister on your machine.


Hey,

I don't think that's true. Vista isn't supported by current versions of consumer security products since last Summer. Minimum requirement is Windows 7

Superuser

Re: F-Secure Host Process

I have to admit, I did have a feeling that was the case, but I was going on the information given here: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/safe/2016/en/concept_1D8DE1CB34114F28B71850FD9BB76CAB-sa... However, apologies, as it seems you are correct. Windows 7 SP1 appears to be the oldest supported operating system. The document I was looking at, must be out of date.
Senior Member

Re: F-Secure Host Process


@Simon wrote:
I have to admit, I did have a feeling that was the case, but I was going on the information given here: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/safe/2016/en/concept_1D8DE1CB34114F28B71850FD9BB76CAB-sa... However, apologies, as it seems you are correct. Windows 7 SP1 appears to be the oldest supported operating system. The document I was looking at, must be out of date.

Yeah, found that too afterwards. I'm pretty sure though the version we tested last Spring in beta lost XP and Vista support. I wonder if this supports mentioning people. @Laksh

Superuser

Re: F-Secure Host Process

Good comments!
Windows-versions have caused a lot of thinking in "headcomputers"🤐????
And one more headache.

I found a document concerning Vista,
https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/End-of-Windows-Vista-support-for/ta-p/92278

There is no specification of Vista-versions.
Shortly: Windows Vista is not supported no longer. Operating system should be Windows 7 or later.
Microsoft has ended its support for Windows Vista too.
How to go on? Read above mentioned document.

Näsäviisas
Aspirant

Re: F-Secure Host Process

I've been using F-Secure on this computer for many years. When I started I think Vista was supported and then I have just renewed. But I can't really change computer or OS at the moment, so I must hope that I can live for a while with the Host Process issue. Or how bad is this issue?

Senior Member

Re: F-Secure Host Process


@SvenR wrote:

I've been using F-Secure on this computer for many years. When I started I think Vista was supported and then I have just renewed. But I can't really change computer or OS at the moment, so I must hope that I can live for a while with the Host Process issue. Or how bad is this issue?


I think the product is basically on limited life-support and if you uninstall, you can't reinstall. I guess you're still getting virus database updates for now though?

Aspirant

Re: F-Secure Host Process

Yes, F-Secure seems to work fine, except for the Host Process issue I described (and sometimes F-Secure has perhaps had difficulty finishing a virus scan of a USB stick). My main concern is if the F-Secure status display can by mistake give a false impression that the computer is protected?