F-Secure Deepguard does not like Sumatra PDF

Advocate

Re: F-Secure Deepguard does not like Sumatra PDF

Foxit is a good reader, but be aware of the complaints for its recent versions regarding including "OpenCandy" in the installer:

"We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. I'll forward your feedback and experience to our market development team for references and evaluating.
PUP means Potentially Unwanted Products. The bundled third party software will not harm your system, but provide you with an offer of a third party product. And they are not mandatory to be installed. In the process of installing Foxit Reader, you shall have an Offer Screen which allows you to Accept or Reject the bundled tool, and you can un-check the option to choose not to install the recommended tool."

I prefer Foxit when copying text from PDFs. Other than that I use Adobe and Adobe is also my default PDF reader.

In both of these programs you can increase the security in its preferences.

For Adobe - enable protected mode and view for All Files  http://helpx.adobe.com/en/reader/using/protected-mode-windows.html#main-pars_header_0

Superuser

True Freeware seems hard to come by these days. Smiley Sad
Champion

NikK wrote: "In both of these programs you can increase the security in its preferences."

Thanks, that is good to know.

The story regarding Foxit and Open Candy made me want to take a virtual shower.  Yuk!

F-Secure Product Expert

Hi baroque-quest,

I believe the DeepGuard prompt you got is detecting System modification attempt. This is because DeepGuard is proactive behavioural analysis system and it will continues to monitor application process.

Applications are monitored for a number of suspicious actions, including (but not limited to):
• Modifying the Windows registry
• Editing files in certain critical system directories
• Injecting code in another process’s space
• Attempting to hide processes or replicate themselves

As legitimate programs will also perform such actions from time to time, DeepGuard does not red-flag a program on the basis of a single action but instead watches for multiple suspicious operations. Once a critical threshold of suspect actions is reached, DeepGuard will block the process from continuing.

Refer F-Secure DeepGuard Whitepaper for more details.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jayson

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new" -Albert Einstein

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.

View solution in original post