COMPUTER SPY'S

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY I GET PHONE CALLS FROPM SOMEONE THAT IS IN ANOTHER COUNTRY OR SOUNDS LIKE HE IS, CAN TELL ME WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING ON MY COMPUTER AND THEN TRY'S TO FRIGHTEN ME TELLING ME I HAVE BEEN DOWNLOADING UPDATES FROM WINDOWS THAT HAVE VIRUSES AND MALWARE THAT WILL RUIN MY COMPUTER AND NEED TO TAKE REMOTE ACCESS TO MY COMPUTER AFTER HE SAY'S HE'S FROM MICROSOFT, I KNEW MICROSOFT WON'T EVER CALL YOU, I KNEW IT WAS A SCAM, BUT HOW DID HE KNOW I WAS MANUALLY INSTALLING WINDOWS UPDATES ANDF HOW DID HE KNOW MY PHONE NUMBER WHICH IS AN A LAND LINE PHONE WITH NO INTERNET ACCESS????

WHEN I USED AVAST, I NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM, BUT WHEN I SWITCHED BACK TO F-SECURE OR ANOTHER, I START GETTINGH THESE PHONE CALLS FROM A MAN THAT SPEAKS VERY POOR ENGLISH.  MY PHONE NUMBER MAY HAVE BEEN FOUND ON MYN COMPUTER SOMEWHERE AND HOW DID HE KNOW WHAT EXACTLY I WAS DOING ON MY COMPUTER?

DOSEN'T F-SECURE HAVE ANTI SPAYWARE ON IT?

I NEED AN ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM OR I'M GOING BACK TO USING THE FREE VERSION OF AVAST AGAIN AND I LIKE IT WHEN I CAN BE WATCHING TV OR DOING SOMETHING ELSE AND HEAR MY AVAST SAY FROM THE SPEAKERS ON MY COMPUTER THE WORDS,

"THREAT HAS BEEN BLOCKED!"

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Firstly, you won't get any more attention by writing in BOLD UPPER CASE, which many consider to be rude on forums.  

Secondly, what evidence do you have that random scam callers got your phone number from your computer?  Here in the UK, the calls from "Microsoft" are a common attempt by scammers to get you to install illicit software on your machine.  They target random phone numbers, and in most cases, could not possibly know any of your personal details, unless you give them that information.

Of course, it may be possible that you already have some form of malicious software on your machine, and as no anti-virus software is 100% infallible, as a 'second opinion', I suggest you run a scan with www.malwarebytes.org, but only use the free version as the Pro version has compatibility issues with F-Secure.  

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser

@Lazarusthe2nd wrote:

DOSEN'T F-SECURE HAVE ANTI SPAYWARE ON IT?

Hello,

Just about your general ask.

Spoiler

Also if we talk about F-Secure SAFE (F-Secure IS);

You able to re-check some official F-Secure articles about their spyware handling-design:

--> Common words about 'spyware understanding by F-Secure' and some examples of spyware (which known and detected by F-Secure):

https://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/spyware.shtml

--> Kind of documentation/help for current build of F-Secure SAFE (Windows) about handle-options under scanning settings:

https://help.f-secure.com/

--> General words about scanning-process from Knowledgebase article:

Functionality of F-Secure virus and spyware scanning

--> And as additional article about some meanings:

Fewer viruses found in manual scan than in scheduled or command-line scans

--> Potential helpful-advice article if you decided to use direct F-Secure Support Channels:

How do I create a log for detecting the presence of malicious files?

===============

All of this - with general meanings that F-Secure SAFE have antispyware design as part of multi-layers protection.

What about direct abilities to detect certain spyware-example (sample) - I think that it will be based on some points and situations. Previous reply was with good advices to use "doublecheck"-scanner;  Maybe it can be helpful and such scanner able to detect something, which F-Secure miss. In such situation good to transfer this information/sample also to F-Secure SAS (F-Secure Labs) for their analysis and check this malicious file (if it indeed malware/spyware or it clean/safe file): https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample#sample-file

With high-quality malicious files usually required manual research (and most likely such files will be with 'close to valid' design or with some tricks). So - there possible situation - if security software do not detect some dangerous software under system. But with multi-layers protection and some common sense - such situation for Home users (at least) should not be quite often;

Also there possible outdated software or valid software with known vulnerabilities. For example, if I normally remember there was security troubles with TeamViewer software (while it can be used by  rogue scammers - not likely that F-Secure will be detect TeamViewer as malware or spyware - if it will be not reasonable or valid and legal step);

What about getting 'secret' information (or kind of more 'knowledge') -> usually there can be collecting from web. For example, one unique nickname for many services or social media - can be as startpoint for collecting information. Time to time it can be with unexpected (for user) results; As additional - there can be a lot of 'not trusted websites' (or normal and good websites, but which eventually hacked; maybe it also can be valid for ISP) as potential leak for such critical data/information.

===============

While about quite oldschool  'Microsoft-call scam' there was previous reply... I just want to clarify:

--> Just do you mean that you suspect that F-Secure company (or their stuff) take your phone number by somewhere (or something else) and give it to some scammers (and as additional - you suspect that it start be known for F-Secure what are you doing on real-time and they share such information with scammers)? Or even more... they install spyware to your system? Since with Avast (and before your experience with F-Secure or another?) it was impossible to meet?

I not sure if such things just technically possible for F-Secure....  but as my advice - you also able to re-read F-Secure Terms like:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/legal/terms/software

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/legal/privacy/safe

And common principles: https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/legal/principles

There also available quite more official documents concerning such things...

And I mean - if you suspect such 'rogue'-action from F-Secure - maybe you have to more properly and directly say this. Because otherwise it can be unclear for F-Secure stuff which supposed to Re-check such critical and security points...and redirect to related people for investigation. 

If you do not suspect such rogue-points or do not mean that this scam in somewhat reasons directly related with F-Secure: I think that if you will be still with such troubles (as scam callers and potential spyware under system) after tries to scan system by F-Secure (with Full Scan and all options) and by other double-check scanners; with experience about contact F-Secure Support - if there required help with 'cleaning' system or check if there 'malware under system' --> AND anyway it will be not helpful... maybe you indeed have to switch back to Avast Free - if they have such good design... which able to prevent it.

Sorry for my spoiler^ because it quite long (about three different  'common' points);

Just I able to add there (because from your description - I understand that Avast Free with security option to play sound when threats found or blocked; even I found Avast AVF as pretty interesting solution with some other features) that if you want -> you able to read about F-Secure thoughts and security technologies design from their Labs Blog with related articles (where Andy Patel discussed about some 'topics' and partly explain how it handled by F-Secure): F-Secure Labs Blog

F-Secure (home solutions) indeed with missing 'playing sound at time when threats found'-feature (by default configuration).

*and generally advices from previous reply pretty good, but also nice if there will be attention from F-Secure Teams (if there required more help/investigation-steps);

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info