Bug report Safe for Mac: Issues with Boxcryptor

Hi,

Using F-Secure Safe for Mac (17.1) and Boxcryptor for encrypting/decrypting files on my Mac.

Boxcryptor acts as a virtual drive integrated in Finder.

Unfortunately with real-time scanning "On"  Boxcryptor slows down and freezes  while browsing files.

I am asuming a compatibility issue with F-Secure Safe real-time scanning intercepting file operations on virtual Boxcryptor drive.

Workaround for now is only deactivating real-time scanning feature - then Boxcryptor works great and smooth (no performance issues or freezing when working with files handled by Boxcryptor).

I couldn't find any options to exclude Boxcryptor folders from real-time scanning.

Hope Mac-Team can look into this.

Appreciate any advice from community!

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Before any official good statements and advices (and more information about 'exclusion'-feature for SAFE Mac).

There was discussion/topic about previous builds of F-Secure SAFE (and maybe not valid for recent build):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/Performance-problems-with-F/m-p/74244#M13268

Where was unofficial (but from official team) suggestion-workaround-trick for exclude certain volume. Does it can be useful for you (if it still works)?

Thanks.

• Vetraci
    Vetraci Posts: 156 Adventurer

@Ukko: Thanks for your suggestion.

For some reasons I am not getting this workaround to work.

I am not sure if I did something wrong or if command lines are still up-to-date.

(I am not very familiar to MacOS (10.13.1) right now, have been using it just for a short time,

Terminal commands seem a bit like cmd commands under Windows but no experience)

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I able to think that such commands can be outdated for current F-Secure SAFE for Mac (because how I able to understand -> F-Secure SAFE for Mac from 17.num with quite many changes). I'm also not friendly with Mac-platform and do not able to try it with my own experience.

Will be good - if F-Secure Safe for Mac team will create some replies and proper advices (or other more experienced users with potential workarounds).

Thanks!

• Vetraci

Apparently there is a workaround using some command lines to exclude files from real-time scanning  but I am not getting it yet. Smiley Frustrated

Maybe F-Secure can publish  a  How-to & FAQ  article on how excluding files/folders on MacOS?  Smiley Happy

• Vetraci

I want to bring this topic up again. Because of this issue (performance drop down, freezing, compatibility issues with Boxcryptor and real-time scanning) I had to abandon F-Secure Safe on my Mac for now.

I loved using F-Secure Safe on all of my devices (from Windows to MacOS and Android) but this issue made me mad. Hope Mac-Team can resolve this very soon. I am staying tuned to switch back to F-Secure as soon as possible. 

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info