Browsing Protection issue with Microsoft Edge

GabbyH
GabbyH Posts: 3 New Member

Hi

Effectiveness of F-Secure SAFE Microsoft Edge I am informed via warning screen that My Window 10 as been compromised and the anti-virus software is ineffectual. With Google there is no problem. Don't understand why this is'nt picked up with F-Secure!

Comments

• GabbyH

Hi

Since my iniitial query concerning  Microsoft Edge I am now unable to access it has I am informed by a warning that the issue is known to Microsoft. 

All I have now if trying to log into Microsoft Edge is a red warning screen advising me of the consequences of this site.

My original concern as to how this could have happened without the  F-Secure  Anti-Virus/Firewall being aware of this developing problem still concerns me obviously about the effectiveness of their system

Kind regards

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

All I have now if trying to log into Microsoft Edge is a red warning screen advising me of the consequences of this site.

So, maybe your experience is about Smart Screen.

Only unclear for me - did you mean "log into Microsoft Edge" (as account for browser) will trigger such a screen? Or just login into something else by using Microsoft Edge?

Sounds, that SmartScreen notification can be about phishing page.

All in all, some suspicious or harmful pages are known for Microsoft exclusively or better than to other companies. But, usually, such information is common for most of companies.

And, in addition, F-Secure Browsing Protection with abilities to block harmful websites that are unknown for SmartScreen.

There is a place "F-Secure SAS":

it is an ability to inform F-Secure Labs about "unknown" suspicious pages.

Or about wrong categorization for a certain website.

Thanks!

• GabbyH

Hi

Sorry for the the confusion,

The  red screen/warning I referenced is when I open Microsoft Edge in browser account. 

I have now disabled all icons from the home page and task bar.

I am still very disapointed in the F-Secure system that clearly wasn't aware of this developing problem and I know have a browser I am unable to use.

Not happy at all

Kind regards

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. And sorry for my unclear suggestions or wording during try to figure out your certain situation.

First of all, since I do not use Microsoft Edge functionality about "Microsoft Account" - it is a bit unclear for me what can be wrong there.

Furthermore, entire troublestate is not enough clear for me. But just because there is a connection with "F-Secure" - I do able to recommend to contact their official Support Channels (chat, for example):

Perhaps, Support Agents with more experience and abilities to check situation and to provide solution or suggestion.

Then, my own feelings were about potential tricky addon / extension or suspicious software under system. That works as "potentially unwanted application" or "scareware" / "adware". OR hacked / malicious website with fake advertisements or offers. Kind of rogue, scam or phishing.

After your second reply - I thought that, maybe, trouble is detected page by Microsoft SmartScreen. Thus, page is blocked / rejected by Microsoft Edge - but not blocked under Google Chrome OR page is not blocked by F-Secure Browsing Protection. Explanation was that page is unknown to F-Secure or maybe it is false positive (of Microsoft SmartScreen database).

But your recent reply is about something else. At least, sounds too suspicious. Thus, for proper recommendation or suggestion - good to know more information. This is why I think that official  Support Channel is most suitable step for further investigation:

In addition, maybe other more experienced users will suggest something good here under Community.

Thanks!

// another an explanation about potential point for Microsoft SmartScreen:

Microsoft Edge is not supported by F-Secure Browsing Protection extension / addon (on current time).

Thus, if page is rated as harmful or suspicious and user tried to access it through HTTPS (secure http) - then connection is rejected / page is denied. But such "blocked" action does not trigger "F-Secure" blockpage as with Google Chrome (as supported browser).

If this harmful-rated page is known for SmartScreen (Windows Microsoft) - then Microsoft Edge should show such a notification page about. With another browser - page is not visible since of F-Secure own blockpage.

It is possible to feel it by using AMTSO (Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organizatio) checks: https://www.amtso.org/security-features-check/

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info