Browser Protection is making Firefox sluggish

Scholar

Re: Browser Protection is making Firefox sluggish

Clearly, we're not going to get any meaningful support from F-S on this. My solution is simple: continue using FF/IE with BP protection turned off, until my subscription with F-Secure expires in October.

Jhumur-

A few days ago, I opened a support case with F-Secure. I told them that others are having the same problem (I mentioned these threads). When I hear back from them, I'll post the results.

Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm interested in the response as well. Until then, I will keep the BPT "on" to provide whatever protection it can offer. I'd rather be a bit sluggish than unprotected.

Former F-Secure Employee

Hello all,

For further investigational purposes: is it possible to check whether disabling exploit shield or web site ratings have any effect on the issue?

(F-Secure -> Settings -> Internet -> uncheck "Web site contains an exploit" and both checkboxes under "Show ratings for:")

@Siltanen wrote:

Hello all,

For further investigational purposes: is it possible to check whether disabling exploit shield or web site ratings have any effect on the issue?

(F-Secure -> Settings -> Internet -> uncheck "Web site contains an exploit" and both checkboxes under "Show ratings for:")

- I tried unchecking both options under "Show Ratings For": Freezing still occurred. Then, I tried with everything checked except for "Website contains an exploit ": Freezing still occurred. Finally, I tried with everything checked except for "Web site rated harmful": Freezing still occurred. 

Former F-Secure Employee

- I tried unchecking both options under "Show Ratings For": Freezing still occurred. Then, I tried with everything checked except for "Website contains an exploit ": Freezing still occurred. Finally, I tried with everything checked except for "Web site rated harmful": Freezing still occurred. 

Thanks for testing this one out! I'm still interested in hearing if it's the same for everybody else experiencing the issue?

Scholar

@Siltanen wrote:

Hello all,

Turning the abovementioned settings didn't make much of improvement. While some pages seemed to load marginally faster, others hung up as before. These were all news webpages from Yahoo!, Guardian, MSNBC, etc.

Earlier, I had taken a previous suggestion and turned off all my other extensions/add-ons. Then I toggled BP on and off, and it confirmed that it's BP that's at the heart of the sluggishness. While turning off the other extensions made FF snappier (again, mariginally) it did not seem to make a significant difference, For a dramatic difference, you have to tun off BP.

P. S. I also took another earlier suggestion, and renamed my FF profile. But, this too didn't help.

UPDATE: Opened a support case a few weeks ago, still haven't heard anything. Yesterday (when FF7 was released but BP not updated yet), FF was running fine. Today, now that BP is updated, temporary hanging still occurs when clicking links, opening pages. So, for me at least, this problem is still present.
Supporter

Just a thought: Is there a correlation between the number of links on the page and the behavior of the browser?

"Just a thought: Is there a correlation between the number of links on the page and the behavior of the browser?" No - temporary hanging happens randomly -- it has happened when loading pages with lots of files/links, and it has happened when loading pages with few files/links.