Banking protection does not allow to go to another bank.

Just wondering again...

When I use FF and go to banking site the Banking protection fires in Safe as designed.

When I close the connection to the bank, close the tab and go to another tab and try to open a connection to another bank Banking protection prevents that.

I have to either manually close Banking protection or restart the browser.

Is that as it is designed?

Comments

• Pavitra
    Pavitra Posts: 81 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi martink,

Welcome to F-Secure Community!

Please try to log in to the required bank site using new Windows and see if the Banking Protection occurs.

Also, refer the article here for more information and solution on Banking Protection.

Thank you

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Just as an addition to discussion.

When I close the connection to the bank, close the tab and go to another tab and try to open a connection to another bank Banking protection prevents that.

I have to either manually close Banking protection or restart the browser.

If second 'bank' webpage is blocked as "blockpage by F-Secure" about banking session protection -> I feel that there are some points to do:

-- Possible to transfer second bank URL to F-Secure Labs:

with chosen ""I want to give more details about this sample and to be notified of the analysis results""

- URL type as 'Banking Protection related troubles';

- Trouble type as 'Site should be allowed during banking session';

-- Possible to transfer first bank logout-page URL to F-Secure Labs as doublecheck:

with chosen ""I want to give more details about this sample and to be notified of the analysis results""

- URL type as 'Banking Protection related troubles';

- Trouble type as 'Banking session does not end after logout';

But it is not a fix - if you just do 'temporary' surfing on bank page and then decided to switch to another one.

With my experience (compared to another browser) - Firefox did not close Banking Session immediately after time when tab is closed already (I'm not sure if it is designed view or Firefox limitation).

I tried next:

- freshly installed Firefox;

- type URL of first bank;

- Banking Protection session is triggered (flyer is visible);

- open second tab; close first tab; (flyer is still visible); type URL of second bank;

- second bank website is accessible.

Windows 7 system.

Another point of try -> next launch of browser comes with Banking Protection session (flyer is triggered) - ?! probably based on start page with top sites. I'm not sure that it is expected view.

// no, it was not a start page - but address bar with suggestions and default settings (during try to type banking URL). such trouble is discussed under one of community topics.

Thanks!

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

So that is not as designed (that will do for the answer)

Sorry guys.

On my Win 10 Banking protection comes on when I go to the login page. That is I do not have to log in.

WHen I close the tab (not the browser) the Banking protection does not end automatically.

I do no think it has ever done that.

I use portable Firefox in private mode. That may be part of the explanation.

I am not gonna submit samples as those banking pages are among the most common banks in Finland.

• Ukko

My experience is also only about 'login page' (for noted tries - I do not have to log in).

I tried with Private mode (Firefox) and next list of banks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Finland

- I open all wikipedia articles about (description for bank).

- then I open National bank website under first tab.

- Banking Protection session is triggered and flyer is visible.

I closed this tab and switch to further tabs with wikipedia articles from where I opened all available bank webpages.

- all of them were accessible.

But, basically, I did not even receive 'active banking session' blockpage for any of further random tries (and I did not receive any of them for .fi-domains as not 'redirect-landing' domains).

Does your second bank is listed under Wikipedia? Or does it possible to provide it? Just interesting to check it with my own system.

Thanks!

• Ukko
    As said at least in my Portable Firefox and private mode the Banking protection does not close when I close the tab with the bank connection.

Such situation is also discussed recently there:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/Banking-Protection-Will-Not-End/m-p/111300

my own experience with Firefox is also about such 'unexpected'(?) state; where closed Banking tab is not enough(?) for banking protection session end (at least, immediately as it can be with Internet Explorer, for example).

Thanks!

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Thanks, but that does not work in my case.

Preivously F-S support told me that the portable version of FF is not fully supported.

I think I shall go with that.

• Ukko

my reply was only as statement that there is such trouble(?) (not as kind of workarounds, suggestions or something else) and likely that it is not pinned to portable Firefox. :)

and I'm not sure if it is limitation (likely) or trouble which is still unreported by someone directly to Support (unlikely).

With Microsoft Edge -> there is also delay after closing tab -> but after minute(?) - banking protection is end (and flyer is not visible). Probably that there is delay for tab's process live (or potential stuck of such state).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info