Banking Protection Bug - BLOCKING Paypal.

aljw
aljw Posts: 7 New Member

For the past week (or two at most), there have been times where I'm getting wierd issues with Paypal, very specifically with Firefox (which I have NOT done updates to).

So I go to paypal.com ... and the banking protection starts up...

but paypal.com comes up "not found". It does NOT come up with the blocked site/allow, it just says it's not there.

*HOWEVER* - it works properly in IE (which I refuse to actually log in with, I don't trust IE for security) - and, if I "END" the banking protection, and hit refresh, then Paypal.com comes up totally fine.

I've added every possible exception to "allow" into the f-secure settings, I've added https://www.paypal.com, www.paypal.com, paypal.com, and several of the actual paypal links (since they sometimes redirect).

As soon as the banking protection comes on, I can't see paypal! (Even if logged in - if I click to view a transaction, it suddenly says site not found... until I close the banking protection and refresh the page).

It doesn't happen with any other banking site, they all work fine - and this has JUST been recently happening. A friend suggested paypal may have updated their IPs or something - but considering f-secure doesn't even let me say "allow website", it just says it basically doesn't exist.... then something is definitely wrong.

Help??

(FYI - using Internet Security 2014)

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Not sure.. that it's can be helpful.

Potentially - you mean that... paypal.com (with https:// , of course) already not loaded by first visit (also during created Banking Protection on certainly "that try to visit  moment"). If yes - it's  strange. One of my devices.. recently was OK around that (Banking Protection started and after that main page or some of other parts of main pages - not blocked).

But.. just because it's blocked and maybe some kind of "specific pages"  (not able to show blocked page status and give just a not found, because HTTPS)  you able to transfer URL, which you met with that situation (blocked during Banking Protection) for F-Secure SAS.

https://analysis.f-secure.com

Like URL about Banking protection.

Also.. maybe you need to try understand. What if here blocked something other, which also have in that page (and which should be blocked) - like if "third-party items" or ... if you use Parental Control features (maybe here have some of related categories, which blocked).

Sorry for not helpful reply.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Do you have any other Add-Ons in Firefox whjich could be affecting things?  Can you try connecting to PayPal with all Add-Ons except Banking Protection disabled?

I have just tried with the latest Firefox (31.0), and PayPal seems to be working OK for me.

• aljw

The only two add ons I had, I just disabled, still have the issue:

Here's the exact message:

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.paypal.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
        If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
        If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

I have firefox 30, will update - but again, if I disable the banking protection, it works.

And for the previous person - no, I do not use parental controls, I'm the only one using this pc, my daughter has her own. And no, it's not partially blocking 3rd party - it's blocking everything.

Wierd.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Are you using a Bookmark to access www.paypal.com?  If so, it may be worth typing in the address manually, to see if that works, then update your Bookmark.  Stranger things have happened...  dunno.gif

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

If nothing helps, contact bankingprotection (at) f-secure.com and attach this log file:

C:\ProgramData\F-Secure\Logs\FSNID\SafeBanking.log

And when you add an allowed site in Online Safety it should be in a format of paypal.com  (without protocol like http or https)

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

So, here I mean that... it's will be blocking everything, but original blocked just something third party (or if it have in Deny/Block List for websites - by protection, content blocker or other features). Of course.. if it not wrong URL with additional characters.

Because - if URL (paypal) HTTPS -> it probably can be without page with buttons allow or etc. It's will be with "Unable to connect".

Anyway - probably you can to create ticket for F-Secure Support and fsdiag.

Potentially - for Support can be more reasonable to understand why it's happened with fsdiag-resources.

• aljw

nope, not using bookmarks :) Only ever type it in.

I'll send the message, thanks.

• EmilL
    EmilL Posts: 16 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello.

Just to check so its really is our bankingprotection. Because it's not supposed to block paypal. If you start up F-secure Internet Security 2014 -> select "Online safety" -> "Settings" -> Select "Banking protection" -> Up in the right conrner you have a button to disable it.

Check now please if the issue still persist.

Br

Emil

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info