Any progress for BP compatibility with Firefox 10?

Just curious why F-Secure was caught not ready after doing farly good job of preparing Browsing Protection on time for last few FF releases.

Comments

• Stephan
    Stephan Posts: 340 Influencer

Hi Andrzej,

Our plan is, with all Firefox releases, to provide an update supporting the new version within 2 weeks of the Firefox release.

Cheers,

Stephan

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp Posts: 432 Superuser

Hi,

as I already stated in the German threads:

it is not acceptableto leave all FF-Useres unprotected for 1/3 of the time. In two weeks we see FF10.01 and in 6 weeks we see FF11.

BR

• andrzej
    andrzej Posts: 21 Enthusiast

I am afraid that 2 weeks is not good enough for average (less computer savvy) user who might upgrade Firefox automatically, then be left without browser protection.

• MJ-perComp

This was posted today:

There's a new browsing protection release candidate available

The update contains stability fixes and provides support for Firefox 10

The visible version string is "F-Secure Browsing Protection SW Update 2012-02-07_01"

The update is distributed through the policy manager which has been configured as specified in the instruction page: http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA-Labs/beta-programs/business-users-beta/beta-update-channel/instructions.html

Manual installation packages for all current release candidates are available as follows:

on windows:
    for 9-series in http://download.f-secure.com/latest/beta/fsdbupdate9.exe

The executables are self-installing on a system with the appropriate F-secure client. These manual installation packages also contain other engines we currently have in a release candidate state, which are due to production later.

For any feedback regarding the update or the beta program, please send them through corp-beta@f-secure.com

Thanks and Best Regards:
    F-Secure Labs
  • andrzej

10.1 is out and not compatible with last week F-Secure Beta release

At this pace we can simply ask F-Secure to cross off the advertised feature of Browsing proteection for Firefox

• tripodzid
    tripodzid Posts: 32 Observer

I downgraded my Firefox to 3.6 due to such problems. One of the things I hate about Mozilla is that it always upgrades from time to time until other software will be too late to catch up.

Business is the game!!image

• andrzej

Acceptable alternative solution as long as Firefox maintains security patches for 3.6.x

• MJ-perComp

And what about the numerous plugins and addons?

Who is keeping them up to date?

The old ones still have all the security issues that were discoverd since 3.6...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello,

1 important point to mention is that if you do use the package in http://download.f-secure.com/latest/beta/fsdbupdate9.exe, you need to run it in command prompt with extra parameters for BP to get installed:

fsdbupdate9 -f

We're aware of this limitation, and a bug case has been raised for future improvement. Sorry for the inconveniences.

About having support 2 weeks after Firefox RTM, we still need to test the final RTM package to ensure that the final release does not have any changes that might break BP. We are already exploring alternatives to match up to Mozilla's rapid release, but for the time being this is what we can offer.

• patet
    patet Posts: 57 Explorer

IMHO a good pace would be supporting Aurora (which is 12.0a2 atm), all my other addons support Aurora but my AV does not Smiley Very Happy 

(it is also the only addon I pay money for)

• andrzej

Question to F-Secure tech support (I hope they read this thread)

Aurora was available as of Feb 03. Should we assume that F-Secure will make BP supporting component within 2 weeks = tomorrow? or within 2 weeks since the official lunch of FF11.

BTW I have not seen official release of BP supporting FF10.x yet

• MJ-perComp

Hi, matches any 10.x, No Information on Beta and/or Aurora yet

Subject: [Corp-update-beta] A new Browsing Protection will be released to production on Tuesday morning early morning Helsinki time

The update contains stability fixes and provides support for Firefox 10 The update in question is currently available through the policy manager which has been configured as specified in the instruction page: http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA-Labs/beta-programs/business-users-beta/beta-update-channel/instructions.html Manual installation packages for all current release candidates are available as follows: on Windows: for 9-series in http://download.f-secure.com/latest/beta/fsdbupdate9.exe The executables are self-installing on a system with the appropriate F-secure client. These packages also contain other engines we currently have in a release candidate state, which are due to production later. For any feedback regarding the update or the beta program, please send them through corp-beta@f-secure.com Thanks and Best Regards: F-Secure Labs
  • andrzej

Sorry, but this is still Beta.

I am not going to push it to 1400 stations and report to my supervisor in case something got busted.

I heard already enough how F-Secure sucks by not supporting advertised products on time

On the other had Mozilla approach with so frequent relases does not make it easy for anyone

Still waiting for official release through normal (non Beta) channels

• MJ-perComp

forgot to paste the subject!.

RTM is Tuesday.

• MJ-perComp

Hi,

I hope they mean tomorrow

The previously announced update is re-scheduled for Friday morning
    The update contains stability fixes and provides support for Firefox 10
  • nayan007
    nayan007 Posts: 41 Observer

In Beta many options will not work,but in full version all it will work.So it is to get the full version Smiley Indifferent

• [Deleted User]

Hello all,

Latest BP update "F-Secure Browsing Protection SW Update 2012-02-16_01" now supports FF10.x. Apologies once again for the inconveniences, and thank you for your patience.

• [Deleted User]

@andrzej: "2 weeks" deadline is for all FF RTM releases only. For example:

FF11 RTM = 13th March

BP support deadline = 27th March (we start working on BP support when the next release is in the Beta branch, then must make sure BP support for the Release branch is ready by this date).

For those interested, Mozilla's plan up to FF15: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

• How can the product (BP) be updated with the latest version?

It seems it doesn't do work with firefox add-on update and f-secure autoupdate.

• andrzej

Check if you F-Secure has the lastest F-Secure Browsing Protection SW Update 2012-02-16_01.

If not update your antivirus program and if sucesfull try upgrading Firefox again

• beiker
    beiker Posts: 33 Explorer

I have mine successfully set up for Firsfox latest version. But I would rather use Chrome since it's more lightweight than using firefox. 

Check out task manager and compare the memory used by both of them. 

• andrzej

As far as I recall F-Secure does not offer full range of Browsing Protection features for Chrome

• andrzej

Somehow  BP was not compatible with FF10.2 at 4pm EST, 3 h later is fine

• Mine is FF 10.0.2, and F-secure is Internet Security 2012 purchased 3 weeks ago.

Add-On BP doesn't get updated automatically during hourly update of F-Secure for the updated FF. Doesn't it work so in F-Secure Internet Security 2012?

At least in "N" company's product, add-on is updated automatically during regular update, and the update to support newly released browsers usually takes a couple of days, if not really soon. 

I think 2-weeks of waiting time to support the new browser needs to be improved... I see one comment that 2-weeks is the company policy to follow at latest and it is released on the last day for the target. Then it would be nice to revisit the policy... Simply It is too long when people use the internet in their daily life nowadays, and also it doesn't seem so working effectively after the release.

Or in case I am not aware of how the BP add-on to get updated and if not updated automatically, can anyone give a bit detailed instruction?

Also, not the topic for this discussion threads but,

another wish is that it would be really nice to support Chrome officially soon...

• Nigel
    Nigel Posts: 8

Is or is not Firefox 10 compatible with Browsing protection?  Tried yesterday upgrading to Firefox 10 and BP is disabled.  Contacted support via chat and told it is not compatible.  An hour later receive a Twitter reply from @FSecure saying it is compatible and that I need to enable it again using Firefox addons - yet this doesn't seem to work.

• MJ-perComp

YES!

FF10.0.2 is compatible with BP. if it does not work try disabling/reeanbling form F-Secure GUI

BR

Matthias

• Nigel

Thanks - tried that, but still not working.  No response from support chat at the moment either.

• MJ-perComp

check the folder %f-secure%\NRS when did the files in there get updated? Any files on or after 17.02.2012?

BR

• Nigel

Can't see any files in that folder after 29.09.2011.

• MJ-perComp

And in the downloaded updates you see "F-Secure Browsing Protection SW Update 2012-02-16_01" and the status says "installed"?

please open the file fsaua.log and search for the above update. should look like this:

[51724]Fri Feb 17 03:42:17 2012(3):  Downloaded 'F-Secure Browsing Protection SW Update 2012-02-16_01' - 'litmus-bin' version '1329383462' from fsbwserver.f-secure.com, 4449444 bytes (download size 827148 bytes)
    [ 2840]Fri Feb 17 03:42:19 2012(2):  Update check completed successfully.
    [ 2840]Fri Feb 17 03:42:23 2012(3):  Installation of 'F-Secure Browsing Protection SW Update 2012-02-16_01' : Success

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info