After upgrading to Firefox 40 you start getting warnings about unsigned F-Secure add-ons in Firefox

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

As of release 40, to protect its users, Mozilla has started to verify and sign third-party add-ons to ensure that their add-ons are safe. Firefox warns you if an add-on has not been verified through their add-on signing process.

Earlier Mozilla did not require that add-ons be signed, and due to this our users have started getting warnings about unsigned F-Secure add-ons in Firefox.

We are working on getting our add-ons verified and signed by Mozilla, and we will update this article with the latest info as soon as the add-on signing has been implemented.

Meanwhile, we assure that F-Secure's add-ons are safe to install and use.

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Hi Ben,

I had a not dissimilar issue with my Android HTC One M9 phone recently, which was popping up security certificate warnings when I logged into the forum.

As it happens, it didn't do it just now, but would that have been connected to the Firefox issues? I'm just using the stock HTC browser on the phone .

• [Deleted User]

Hi Simon,

We add on the 14th some certificate issue (for a very brief period of time)with the login to our community.

I would assume this is what you experienced.

Let me know should that happen again. 

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    OK, thanks Ben. I didn't really think anything much of it at the time, as these seem to pop up a lot on my phone.
  • etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 147 Superuser

Dear Ben,

Some of our hungarian customers report:

- They saw a pop-up notification, asking them to accept a platform update for the already installed copy of F-Secure Anti-Virus / Internet Security 2015 software on Windows

- The update process ran and completed (and asked for a reboot in some cases)

- After the update, some customers are started seeing small F-Secure pop-up notifications every few days, which tell them "No threats were found" or "No threats in the network". (Regrettably, I don't have a screenshot yet.)

- These kind of regular pop-ups weren't seen before the platform update and the customers didn't modify the settings, e.g. for scheduled scan.

The customers wish to know if this is normal behaviour in F-Secure? They would like to have more information concerning what kind of threat were searcherd for.

Thanks in advance, Yours Sincerely:

Tamas Feher, 2F 2000 Kft., Hungary.

• [Deleted User]

Hi Tamas,

Recent upgrade to latest version should be normal. As for the newly appearing notifications it would indeed be great to have the screenshot to get a better idea of what is triggering them.

• VictorD
    VictorD Posts: 2
    Hello Ben, I have to ask because I'm very paranoid when things like these happen, is it normal for my Browsing Protection add-on (from F-Secure) to display that it couldn't be verified for use in Firefox? Otherwise the add-on works alright. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]

Hello VictorD,

If these messages started to appear after upgrading to Firefox 40, it would be normal.

Please refer to my first post in this thread.

• VictorD
    VictorD Posts: 2

Thanks Ben, I feel more calm about the whole thing now.

• how can i use this vpn

Hi @etomcat

The pop-ups you refer to are a new feature in the product. It checks all new networks you connect to and verifies that they resolve DNS properly. This is to check that for example router is not hijacked or malicious. You should see the flyer only once for every network you connect to. If you change networks often, you would see the flyers often.

If you open product timeline, you should also find these notifications there.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info