After F-Secure engine update no longer getting website ratings on Google search.

TT33
TT33 Posts: 4 New Member

F-Secure updated to version 16.3 yesterday and since then the site ratings - green ticks, grey question marks etc. no longer show up when I do a google search.  I tried it on IE, Firefox and Chrome and they are all the same - no site ratings.

They DO appear if I use F-Secure search.

Now this has happened in the past and I have been able to get it working again by disabling/enabling the browser extention...but not this time.

I did try the reinstall of the extensions via F-Secure Browser protection/Settings option.  Did not change anything.

So is this a 'bug' or a planned 'enhancement'....or just me!

Thanks.

Comments

• BigPete
    BigPete Posts: 42 Observer

I noticed a similar problem after browsing protection upgraded to ver. 2.168.4219 a few days ago. When I use FF (ESR ver. 45.2), I don't see the green check marks after performing a Google search. However, I do see the checkmarks in Internet Explorer 11.

Also tried same things as you -- disable/enable, and I also reinstalled the entire F-Secure product. Still same problem. This hasn't happened in a long while, but maybe some bugs in the recent release of browsing protection?

Other than the site ratings, the blocking function still works for me. You can test it at: http://unsafe.fstestdomain.com/

However, I like to have the search ratings as well. I'd rather not click on a dangerous link at all.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I think it might be useful if you guys could send in a Support Ticket, attaching the file from the Support Tool, so that the tech guys can have a look at what may be going on.  

• TT33

Support ticket raised.  Will let you know what I hear back.

• TT33

FYI - my ticket has been escalated a couple of times.  Still awaiting a solution.

• BigPete

Not sure if my ticket has been escalated, but still no resolution.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled F-Secure on all my computers (3), but to no avail. Still no check marks when using google search in FF 45.2 (english-US version).

• TT33
    It is back working for me. I haven't any further feed-back from f-secure about my ticket since an e-mail from them on the 12th of August saying they were still investigating. But then sometime last week the site rankings again began to work. So no idea what happened to fix the issue for me.
  • BigPete

My guess is that a new version of browser protection was released.

For me, the only solution that worked was to BOTH uninstall F-Secure, and completely uninstall Firefox (which means deleting the mozilla folder in appdata on c drive). I had to do this on all 3 of my computers that run F-Secure.

In the end, I decided to switch to a different AV program (one that doesn't use an add-on for browser protection/ratings). I've used F-Secure for a long time, and it's a strong program, but I just got tired of dealing with broken add-ons.

• IceMan7
    IceMan7 Posts: 16 Enthusiast

The problem with the FF is well known.
    Remember that FF is an open source program.
    IE Opera, etc. is not a problem.
    At least I do not.

From the information in the network, you can find out that F-Secure is working on this.
    For example, curiosity Safepay of Bitdenfendera (installed separately from the whole package of BitDefender) has the same problem with the FF.

It's a shame that the F-Secure have to deal with this problem is not advised.
    I know that patience has its limits.

If not, what now AV package itself you installed on your computers? What kind of the producer you have chosen?

• BigPete

I'm now using Bitdefender (Antivirus Plus version). I think F-Secure uses some of Bitdefender's detection engines. Bitdefender does not use add-ons for its web protection (i.e. site rating & blocking).

I haven't used Safepay, but I think Safepay is separate from Firefox. Safepay is Bitdefender's own secure browser that you can use for banking transactions, etc.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    I was slightly put off from using Bitdefender Safe Pay, because although it claims to be a secure browser, I still wasn't sure where the actual data was passing through, in that, does the browser store data, etc? At least with FS, you are still using your own default browser, which, to me, makes me feel more secure.
  • IceMan7
    IceMan7 Posts: 16 Enthusiast

Simon napisali:
    I was slightly put off from using Bitdefender Safe Pay, because although it claims to be a secure browser, I still wasn't sure where the actual data was passing through, in that, does the browser store data, etc? At least with FS, you are still using your own default browser, which, to me, makes me feel more secure.

Safepay tests MRG Effitas is a better solution from F-Secure.
    Only the essential question is - why?
    Safepay is based on the old engine, Google Chrome so in itself already has a few holes. And so it is better solution than Eset, which in its dedicated browser for transfers, Eset allows the operation of JAVA and Flash.

BigPete napisali:

I'm now using Bitdefender (Antivirus Plus version). I think F-Secure uses some of Bitdefender's detection engines. Bitdefender does not use add-ons for its web protection (i.e. site rating & blocking).

I haven't used Safepay, but I think Safepay is separate from Firefox. Safepay is Bitdefender's own secure browser that you can use for banking transactions, etc.

F-Secure uses Bitdefender engine (Aquarius).
    The rest of the solutions in the F-Secure and Bitdefnder already own solutions.

Safepay package Bitdefender act like you wrote.
    While Safepay installed separately (http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/safepay.html) already has the same problems as the protection of banking F-Secure in terms of Firefox

Personally, I think Bitdender beside the F-Secure is one of the best AV.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

BigPete's quote:

---

Bitdefender does not use add-ons for its web protection (i.e. site rating & blocking).

---

Spoiler

But does you mean experience with F-Secure (based on Firefox) about full "not workable" status for protection feature? Or we talk just about visible results as "rating pictures" do not comes under HTTPS search engine (Google HTTPS, Bing HTTPS, Yahoo HTTPS) and partly can be mistake in some of "intercept network traffic"?

I mean that basically F-Secure do not use add-ons for web protection with meanings "provide blocking or site-reputation/rating". This is mainly based on Security Cloud. And if "it was unavailable' (as server) - so there is can be indeed "trouble in protection" (when user will be able to visit malicious page or rating-reputation simply does not comes for user's system).

When add-ons disabled (or not work) there most likely you still able to get block-page (you noted this under your words too) about malicious and suspicious pages. Also most likely you still able to get search-results under HTTP Bing search results. As additional "F-Secure Search"-service provide search results under HTTPS (and Google-based) even if there F-Secure not installed. Where you not able to get "restricted" ratings.. as example, but all other "not based on user's decision" ratings will be same.

Banking Protection should work also.. not based on status of extension/addons.

and

Spoiler

I can to feel there is just next not common situations:

--> If Firefox with some of builds.. start be with changes... and as result... for F-Secure this browser start be some kind of "not supported" (as result most of features can be partly broken; additional to HTTPS-support by add-on... there already can be missing Banking Protection flyer or blocking web-pages).

For example.. not all Chrome/Chromium/Blink-cores browsers will trigger Banking Protection (but some of them  able to do this.. eventually). But practically all of them compatible with manual installation of extension/addon (browsing protection), which will provide search-result ratings for HTTPS search (and normally show block-page under HTTPS connection). But if there is not installed add-on.. anyway will be search results for Bing (HTTP) and pages will be blocked.
    Browsing Protection/Ratings/Reputations works over-the-browsers..... but for normal work with secured-connections (HTTPS) required addon/extension. For providing this ability (and aboit critical risks about privacy).

--> Or just extension/addon start be partly not compatible with fresh builds of Firefox.. and as results.. there broken HTTPS-support for provide search-rating under HTTPS search provider's pages... and eventually can be random (or missing) some of triggers for Banking Protection.

Mainly.. I mean that F-Secure do not use addons for "protection feature" too. But using this for provide "proper" (and some kind of "advanced"/"stealthy") work of protection features.

Anyway... sorry for my reply.

Practically all troubles can not be "lovely for us". Just some of them can be not so critical.... but of course.. not nice.

Thanks.

• wcandres
    wcandres Posts: 5 New Member

I'm running Charter Security Suite Version 16.1.  This is an F-Secure product.  I have also lost the website rating symbols after the last upgrade (to version 16.1).  It appears from some posts that this has been corrected for F-Secure users.  I'm wondering if a "fix" is on the way for the Charter suite?  The Charter folks seem to be unaware of the problem.

• wcandres
    wcandres Posts: 5 New Member

As of this morning (January 8, 2017), the web ratings are back on Chrome on my system.  I'm assuming Google must have done something???

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info