Problem with F-Secure Key

Highlighted
Scholar

Problem with F-Secure Key

In the F-Secure Key program the password generator needs to allow me to specify the particular special characters that are allowed.  I have a bank web site where I'm required to use special characters, but only from a list of about 10 of them, others are not allowed.  I've tried generating many of your random passwords, and they always use characters I can't use, but I can't turn off the special character function because I'm required to use some of them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Problem with F-Secure Key

Hello Lloyd,

I feel your pain, I also have stumbled upon websites requiring special characters but only accepting them from a short list. In this case, I generate without special characters and just edit couple in by hand. Luckily most sites do accept all characters, and in proper lengths too. 

Productwise, I think making the special characters list editable won't happen, but I'm not the product manager, so I can't really say. 

++lauri

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Superuser

Hello,

But you can after "generated" password... edit result by hand;

Here you can also re-place any "scpecial characters", which not able to use for service; Re-place to another "supported" characters. It's already will be not really "random", but anyway can be still strong password.

Sorry if with your device... it's not a work.

Former F-Secure Employee

Hello Lloyd,

I feel your pain, I also have stumbled upon websites requiring special characters but only accepting them from a short list. In this case, I generate without special characters and just edit couple in by hand. Luckily most sites do accept all characters, and in proper lengths too. 

Productwise, I think making the special characters list editable won't happen, but I'm not the product manager, so I can't really say. 

++lauri

View solution in original post

I will just generate a new random key a few times and one of them will not have the offending character. I'll use that.

ps. It seems that some sites block at least  ' and " and # and ; used in shell scripting or sql. The need to do that kind of filtering does not give a warm fuzzy feeling about the way things work behind the scenes on those sites... "Hey, someone sent something to us... let's evaluate it as an instruction" Smiley Very Happy