Migration from pwSafe

Scholar

Migration from pwSafe

I have tried searching the knowledge base and community forums but found nothing about importing data from pwSafe (http://app77.com/pwSafe/). I believe it uses the same safe format as Password Safe.

Is there a migration functionality and/or utility? This is the only thing stopping me from migrating to the paid version of KEY.

6 REPLIES 6
Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Migration from pwSafe

Hello Sieira!

There is an importing functionality, but it is only available from desktopclient ( win / mac ).

So, what you do is, you install fskey on a windows or mac machine, import your passwords there.  When  it works and you are happy with it, then you can pay for the sync on your android or ios device, Then  generate the synching code on the ios/android device and then input that in your desktop device. It will ask for your master password on your desktop, it will be the one on your ios/android device.after that,  you might need to lock & re-open the KEY on your ios/android device to get your passwords synched there. 

++lauri

Scholar

Thank you, I will download the Mac app and test it.

Scholar

So I tested it on both the .psafe3 (binary) file and on the exported .txt and neither worked. I get an error message saying the file cannot be imported. Smiley Sad

Former F-Secure Employee

Hello,

the password safe import should work importing in xml format. is this option available?

++lauri

Scholar

No! That is why I specifically asked about pwSafe and/or Password Safe formats!

Former F-Secure Employee

Well, I guess you could import your passwords to password safe, and then export as xml from that. It's a bit of extra work, but it is a working path. 

I wish we could support all formats out there for our importing feature, but currently we haven't had the chance to implement more. 

++lauri