Key "Server unreachable"

Highlighted
Aspirant

Key "Server unreachable"

I'm using Key for Windows version 1.4.158 at work (same version at home and the latest android version on the go).

While everything works great between my home computer and my phone, I can't get my work station to synchronise. All my attempts fail immediately asking me to verify my network connectivity and the sync code.

And when I go to the "About" menu, I get a message saying "Server unreachable".

My browsers work fine though and I have no other network connectivity issue. I am behind a proxy though and there doesn't seem to be a way to define the proxy credentials in the application. Are there any plans to support this feature at some point in the future? I know several colleagues that have been considering getting this product but turned off by this exact reason.

8 REPLIES 8
Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Key "Server unreachable"

Hello Mr FluffyTux,

Key should and does use proxy settings it derives from the system network settings. If they require typing in credentials, then we cannot react to that. You could try using internet explorer to browse, and inputting your credentials there to enable traffic through the proxy and after that trying to synch with Key. I would imagine that typing in credentials authenticates the whole computer, not just internet explorer to use the network. 

Quote from QT docs "On Windows, this function will use the WinHTTP DLL functions. Despite its name, Microsoft suggests using it for all applications that require network connections, not just HTTP. This will respect the proxy settings set on the registry with the proxycfg.exe tool. If those settings are not found, this function will attempt to obtain Internet Explorer's settings and use them."

++lauri 

ps. let us know if you come up with a working method, I don't think supporting proxies that require authentication by credentials would be too high on our backlog. 

Aspirant

Hi Lauri,

Thanks for your kind reply! It does sound like you guys are doing it all right (knowing the reputation of the company, I would have been surprised if you didn't handle proxies at all)...

I'll try firing up IE then and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your time!

++
Thomas
F-Secure

Hi FluffyTux!

Just wanted to check in and see if you got things working? If so, please let us know what you came up with!

// Chrissy
Has somebody helped you? Give Kudos as a way to say "thanks!"
Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using the "Accept as Solution" button to let others know.
Aspirant

Hi!

Thanks for the replies and for checking up on me!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work, I'm guessing you use a port that is blocked by my proxy...

I haven't had time to check though, but using IE instead of my usual browser before firing up the application didn't change a thing.

Cheers,

Thomas

Aspirant

Hi again!

After a few months of syncing the passwords I need both at home and at work by hand, I've decided to have another look into this issue.

I've fired up WireShark to try and get some details about why it wouldn't go through and here are my findings.

I see the following requests:

- outbound: HTTP    CONNECT avain.f-secure.com:443 HTTP/1.1

- inbound: HTTP    HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication Required  (text/html)

The details of the 407 are as follows:

HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication Required
Proxy-Authenticate: NEGOTIATE
Proxy-Authenticate: NTLM
Proxy-Authenticate: BASIC realm="AUTH_ADMIN"
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Proxy-Connection: close
Connection: close
Content-Length: 956

According to the documentation regarding WinHTTP found on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383144%28v=vs.85%29.aspx , I quote:

A typical WinHTTP application completes the following steps in order to handle authentication.

Thus, it is my undestanding that there should be a way for F-Secure KEY to handle this issue successfully.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you, even if it is to tell me that this will not (or cannot) be implemented.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Aspirant

Hello,

It has been two weeks since my previous message and I would very much like an answer on this topic. I can't seem to submit a support ticket about it (Key is not listed in the product options when submitting a support request).

Is anyone from F-Secure around and able to chime in?

I would understand if it was considered too much of an effort for too small a target audience (although I know quite a few people at work that have turned to competing solution just for this reason), but not getting any answer is kind of frustrating.

Cheers,

Thomas
Aspirant

Almost a month gone by without so much as a "hello"...

Kind of disappointed here...

Aspirant

Dropping by to ask for a status update....