Key premium does not really delete passwords from database?

Highlighted
Aspirant

Key premium does not really delete passwords from database?

Is Key keeping "deleted" passwords still in database? (My version of Key is 4.8.110 and I have Premium.)

I deleted several entries from Key and notice that the password database file did not get any smaller.

I also noticed that Key's system informatio shows this:

"Entry count (total): 136
Entry count (visible): 103"

136 feels like the total number of password I have added to the Key. After deletions I did there are 103 passwords left.

Have the deleted passwords been kept in the Key?

If that is so, why does Key keep deleted passwords?

And how can they be really deleted?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Key premium does not really delete passwords from database?

Hi Comadrin,

KEY needs to keep the deleted password entries so that we can delete the same ones from all the connected devices. In fact, when we delete them, we delete actual password data, but keep the password entry id. That's why, they are ended up in the total password count at system info.

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Just as my own unofficial feelings before any potential official response words.

With my experience: situation is not pinned to "Premium"-view. For example, it is also valid for normal version of F-Secure KEY probably.

Then, there was such situation and design:

With potential explanation of current situation AND about situation where was unexpected view of 'design' (which was fixed).

So, potentially password-entries are deleted but replaced by 'unrelated'-data (for example). Then such 'counts of total and visible entries'-design  is used for handling sync-based features (for example).

With my feelings - F-Secure KEY does not keep deleted passwords (or even 'critical' metadata as it was with noted topic) but maybe only 'potential event'. At least, just because noted design is valid for not premium KEY too.

I'm not sure about workarounds for 'really deleted' - but with not premium KEY - should be possible to use "Export entries" -- remove KEY database -- import passwords. PROBABLY.

While with F-Secure KEY Premium such workaround is not suitable. But, potentially, deleted passwords is deleted passwords - except potential trouble with size of database - maybe ?! situation is about not a critical state.

Sorry for my reply. GOOD if F-Secure KEY will create response or clarification about.

Thanks!

Aspirant

Thanks for information.

According to link you provided there should not be actual password data left after deletion, only metadata. But they also mention bug that that caused even passwords stay after deletion. Hopefully it has been fixed, but I would like to hear official confirmation about that.

Superuser

@Comadrinwrote:

Thanks for information.

According to link you provided there should not be actual password data left after deletion, only metadata. But they also mention bug that that caused even passwords stay after deletion. Hopefully it has been fixed, but I would like to hear official confirmation about that.

Hello,

As my own temporary words and partly clarification of my previous reply (before official statements):

Yes, it was fixed (pretty briefly).  Also, it was not 'passwords stay after deletion' - but only metadata like chosen color, URL and logo-picture stayed with export-file (and, thus, probably under database too).

At least, I was a F-Secure KEY user during timeframe of noted topic and it was visible changes and fixed situation with export-file (?! not sure about official 'statements' - but maybe it was noted in somewhere as fixed situation).

So, even if stuck with some metadata is still actual with database (but not with export-file) -- passwords should not be included (but, most likely, it is fixed with database too). But I also feel that good to receive FRESH words about current and actual design of KEY by F-Secure KEY Team.

Thanks!

Community Manager

Hi Comadrin,

KEY needs to keep the deleted password entries so that we can delete the same ones from all the connected devices. In fact, when we delete them, we delete actual password data, but keep the password entry id. That's why, they are ended up in the total password count at system info.

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.

View solution in original post