Key not visible in Dock on Mac OS X

por
Aspirant

Key not visible in Dock on Mac OS X

Key 4.2.113 is not visible in Dock or Cmd+Tab list. Downgrade to 4.2.107 (glad I had the old installation package at hand!) restores normal behaviour. OS X El Capitan with latest updates.

15 REPLIES 15
F-Secure Product Expert
F-Secure Product Expert

Re: Key not visible in Dock on Mac OS X

Hello Por,

This change in version 4.2.113 is by design and the icon is now visible instead in the tray (top bar) and is gray.

Best Regards

-Ben

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
por
Aspirant

Oh noes! From now on it's not possible to activate/open Key with Cmd+Tab / keyboard? That's a huge usability loss.

Please make the old behaviour a setting.

Scholar

I came here to report the same bug. But wow. By design? Please don't.

There is also a related bug that makes this a bad decision: if you click on the tray icon, the Key window doesn't become active, although the cursor is flashing in the master password field. So I often think the window is active, type in my password and press enter. In previous versions, this caused quit to be selected, and Key to quit. At least now that there is the "open" command before quit in the menu, so it doesn't quit, but I still end up typing my password twice.

So, please put the icon back in the dock. And please hire someone who actually uses a Mac to work on any product sold for the Mac. It's just frustrating to work with apps that don't work like Mac apps.

Aspirant

I don't like that "by design". I want that cmd+tab functionality BACK! It's very f*cking distratcing to click tray icon each time when I want to copy account+password credentials.

And, no, cmd+f2 or whatever doesn't work in Firefox, so don't suggest that.

Simply, please bring cmd+tab functionality back!

Novice

I am having the same issue, and it's extremely big usability issue. This basically breaks my workflow, as I don't use mouse that much, but keyboard. I used to copy/paste the username and password to browser window, use cmd+tab to switch back to F-Secure Key to copy the password, and cmd+tab again to get back to browser. This is now broken.

To be honest, this one problem has made me starting to check other key managers that work sanely and support basic OS features, like switching between apps using cmd+tab. I hope you get this flaw fixed quickly!

F-Secure

Due to technology we are using, there are limitations in activating KEY application from dock bar – it is not possible when KEY is running in the background, that’s why dock icon has been removed.

For fast access to KEY  you may also use Spotlight search.

If you still want to have an icon in dockbar, you need to modify plist file:
1. Open /Applications/F-Secure KEY.app/Contents/Info.plist
2. Remove these lines:
        <key>LSUIElement</key>
        <string>1</string>

Aspirant

@dukavi wrote:

Due to technology we are using, there are limitations in activating KEY application from dock bar – it is not possible when KEY is running in the background, that’s why dock icon has been removed.

Just look Wunderlist application, it has both options in same time: top dock bar icon and cmd+tab functionality.

What do we (or you?) gain by moving the Key application to the top dock bar and removing the cmd+tab functionality? I don't see any benefits (by the user view) by doing this...

por
Aspirant

@dukavi wrote:

If you still want to have an icon in dockbar, you need to modify plist file:
1. Open /Applications/F-Secure KEY.app/Contents/Info.plist
2. Remove these lines:
        <key>LSUIElement</key>
        <string>1</string>

Confirmed, this works. For those who are not comfortable working with XML a less risky way to achieve the same would be

defaults delete /Applications/F-Secure\ KEY.app/Contents/Info.plist LSUIElement

After this change Key crashes upon Quit which isn't optimal, but can be managed with.

por
Aspirant

By the way, the new top bar icon is not exactly a win. I have a dark theme, and it's essentially invisible. It's the third from the left in the image.

Example here.