KEY does not accept master password (with scandic chars) anymore (Win 10)

Aspirant

KEY does not accept master password (with scandic chars) anymore (Win 10)

My daughter is using KEY premium on Windows 10 , an iPhone and an iPad.  Today when she tried to unlock it on Windows 10 it did not accept the master password anymore. I also tried to type it several times, but it does not accept it. To be sure we did not mistype, we typed it in Notepad and then pasted it.

We have previously created a QR code, which we imported and it showed exactly the same password we typed. Luckily though she is still able to access the passwords on the Apple products by unlocking with the fingerprint.

I can reveal that the master password  contains several scandinavian characters (åäö), if that is what is causing the issue.

The same master password has been used from the start.

What can we do? Could this be a bug? This needs to be resolved before there is an issue with the fingerpint login as well.

13 REPLIES 13
Superuser

Re: KEY does not accept master password (with scandic chars) anymore (Win 10)

Hello,

I am also only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

I do able to add (as feedback) - sounds that it is my experience too. // by the way - did you try to use QR Code as login attempt (or it only showed the masterpassword?!).

Sorry if I remember some points wrongly (already).

Recently, after upgrade to one of fresh builds - it was impossible to unlock F-Secure KEY. I performed steps as with your experience (a lot of checks that input is valid).

Then I tried to install one of previous builds back and it was possible to unlock F-Secure KEY. Then I created QR code there (?!). And re-used it with reinstalled fresh build. Masterpassword was "this one". // Or, perhaps, I changed masterpassword with previous build for something "less" tricky. And then it was possible to unlock F-Secure KEY with fresh build.

If I do remember it good - then I just re-create masterpassword from "previous" to "fresh" (in fact, it is still previous). Just re-creating it. As a result, it was possible to login with further tries.

My own experience was also about characters like "åæø" - but my masterpassword with much more tricky places and tricks itself. Thus, I did not try to check if these certain characters were a reason.

As my own suggestion (and after creating backup for your credentials / information and even F-Secure KEY localstorage):

-> does it possible to check whether trouble is still there with recent F-Secure KEY build or not:

https://download.sp.f-secure.com/key/FSecureKeyWin.msi

->  then with access to your F-Secure KEY (fresh build) by somehow steps - does it possible to check if "recreate" masterpassword is fix? With meanings - that even your previous one is still applicable for fresh build (freshly created).

I do able to suspect that maybe something with changes for "how masterpassword is stored/encrypted/decrypted". As a result, there is internal difference and "previous" masterpassword is not accepted. But if to change it - format is switched to updated view (or so). I did not try to check situation more.

Good to perform backup of your credentials and "F-Secure Key" localstorage file before any further checks.

And good if there will be attention from official F-Secure Teams.

Sorry for my unofficial feelings and suggestions.

Thanks!

Aspirant

Thank you Ukko for your reply!

I'd like to hear F-Secure's take on this, as I this is a very seriour problem which made me lose trust in the application. I also use KEY and immediately made an offline clear text export of the passwords. In my daughter's case I can't take a backup of her passwords before making any changes since AFAIK it's not possible to export the passwords on an iOS device.

F-Secure, is there any known issue with using non-ASCII characters in the master password? Have there been any changes on how these are processed?

Superuser

Hello,

Just as a feedback. Today was next experience:

-> my F-Secure KEY Installation was "4.9.185" (looks like).

I am not sure why it was installed this one build. Mayb it was only build that worked for me without trouble (from topic). During previous experience.

Anyway, it was possible to unlock KEY with my masterpassword each time. Windows 10 64bit.

-> today I decided to open / unlock F-Secure KEY. Did that with my masterpassword.

Then I received notification pop-up about available KEY Update and ability to install it (or to postpone).

I decided to choose "Upgrade/Update".

Freshly installed build is "4.9.193" (looks like).

-> result is that I do not able to unlock / open F-Secure KEY with my masterpassword (that I used minutes before).

I decided to place this feedback and then I will try to check situation a little be more (I do not it yet).

// More information about my own situation:
Sounds that my trouble is pinned to long story of F-Secure KEY use. And maybe date / circumstance of installed User Data database file.

Eventually, I tried to uninstall it. And as a result - I do not able to retrieve good state back with any of tried F-Secure KEY builds. Anyhow, all works with recreated database and even with my masterpassword. Even with upgrade from outdated build to fresh.

BUT... my original localstorage / database is corrupted(?!) already. And my masterpassword is not accepted anymore.

Community Manager

Hello @Ozone,

May I know if the current version of your KEY is 4.9.185? If yes, could you please download and install the recent version 4.9.193 of KEY from here? Please try to login again with the Master Password containing those scandic characters.

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Highlighted
F-Secure

We are truly sorry that your daughter has had problems with KEY on Windows 10. We unfortunately had this bug in one of the released KEY clients but it should have been fixed in our latest release, 4.9.193. This version can be downloaded from https://www.f-secure.com/fi_FI/web/home_fi/key.

Could you please download and manually install that build and let me know if there are still problems with master password?

Superuser

@Piiris wrote:

We unfortunately had this bug in one of the released KEY clients but it should have been fixed in our latest release, 4.9.193.

Sorry for my reply. I am not a topic starter.

By the way, is there any ability to retrieve / recover my localstorage from broken state to previous valid state?

My state is next: when trouble is happened. I copied (localstorage) file to another directory. Then to uninstall F-Secure KEY and F-Secure KEY: User Data. Tried to install some of previous F-Secure KEY builds and manually replace localstorage. Anyhow, masterpassword is not accepted with any try.

Is it designed to be so?

or with another words: is it possible to crack this database (localstorage file) with my own system, with my own known masterpassword... and so.

there are some... unsynced / unexported / 'uncopied' things around two weeks old. Smiley Sad

F-Secure

It should be possible to copy localstorage and open it with your master password.

@Ukko Master password was working for you with the build 4.9.185? And after installing 4.9.193 it wasn't working anymore? 

Superuser

@Piiris wrote:

It should be possible to copy localstorage and open it with your master password.

@Ukko Master password was working for you with the build 4.9.185? And after installing 4.9.193 it wasn't working anymore? 

Yes, my current experience is second time.

First time (weeks?! months?! before this topic) - it was possible to do steps like "copy localstorage" and then try to figure out any workaround. Probably, that's way I came to build 4.9.185. Where my original localstorage back to normal state with accepting my masterpassword.

Today, after upgrade from 4.9.185 to 4.9.193 (master password was working for 4.9.185 - since I unlock KEY and received upgrade prompt). But right after 4.9.193 installed - it was not possible to use this exact master password.

I tried some steps to figure out anything. Then decided to copy localstorage and replace it to another folder. Then I tried to fully uninstall F-Secure KEY (F-Secure KEY and F-Secure KEY: User data). And then decided to install another build (it was 4.9.159). Then I replaced localstorage (delete 4.9.159 bogus one; and re-add my main copied localstorage). Then "launch" F-Secure KEY and my master password is not accepted. Somehow my localstorage is corrupted (?!).

// some points to add:

-- if I install F-Secure KEY as clean installation. Then choose masterpassword as this exact from "inaccessible" original localstorage - password is normally allowed / accepted at any try.

Furthermore, I tried to install some of outdated builds. Choose my own this masterpassword. When upgrade prompt is received - update it. My masterpassword is accepted anyway.

I, also, with backup of localstorage (two months old) - and replacement works for this localstorage.

But not for this one.. which start be corrupted after upgrade to 4.9.193.

// // I, also, tried next flow: to uninstall F-Secure KEY, but keep "corrupted" localstorage of 4.9.193.

Then to install any previous builds  - but, anyway, with current trouble - masterpassword is not accepted anymore.

Thanks!

F-Secure

@Ukko You didn't happen to save Pwmgr.log before you uninstalled KEY User data? It would be really interesting to see that one.