KEY Premium total synchronisation failure on Android phone

Scholar

Re: KEY Premium total synchronisation failure on Android phone

F-Secure KEY version 4.0.1 on Android, F-Secure KEY 4.0.106 on Windows 10.
F-Secure

You are using the latest versions.

Perhaps, we can clean up all the data, both on Desktop and Android and start syncing from the scratch.

You need to make a backup of your password collection and then re-import them again after cleaning local settings storage.

The steps are:

1. Create password backup on Desktop by exporting passwords to a file.
  2. Quit KEY and remove folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\F-Secure\Pwmgr on all Desktop clients
  3. Start KEY again, put master password and import files from a file
  4. Enter premium voucher to enable sync (we will provide voucher in PM)
  5. Remove and install again Android client
  6. Generate sync code on Desktop and connect Android client
Scholar

Hi dukavi,

Thankyou for the premium voucher. I followed the six steps you outline exactly. I now have a desktop and a laptop which sync perfectly and both display "KEY PREMIUM Valid until 10 November 2017", and an Android phone which displays "KEY FREE Subscribe now" and contains no passwords! I know that the master password I'm using for the premium machine in Step 6 is correct because if you use an incorrect password on the phone, it tells you that. It appears to fail right at the end of the process. I really don't know what to do now.

Scholar

Hi dukavi, please update on this case as I still cannot sync with my Android phone.

Highlighted
F-Secure

So you create a sync code on desktop KEY client and then trying to enter to Android app. What happens after that? It asks for new master password and new master password is never accepted? If you are using the same master password on all your devices, it shouldn’t prompt you when syncing. BTW, when you reinstalled Android app, did you clean up all KEY data (there should be an option for it in your Android phone).

Scholar

Hi dukavi,

To answer your points:

1. So you create a sync code on desktop KEY client and then trying to enter to Android app. What happens after that? - I currently have no passwords in KEY on phone. Enter sync code on phone and press confirm. Displays "Synchronising ....". Asks for Master Password used on other device. Enter Master Password and press confirm. Displays phone home screen briefly. Displays KEY opening screen briefly. Displays Master Password entry screen. Enter Master Password and press done. Now in KEY Favourites screen. No passwords!
  2. It asks for new master password and new master password is never accepted? - NO, looks like password is accepted (if it wasn't you get asked for password again which doesn't happen) just doesn't actually sync the passwords.
  3. If you are using the same master password on all your devices, it shouldn’t prompt you when syncing.- Quite.
  4. BTW, when you reinstalled Android app, did you clean up all KEY data (there should be an option for it in your Android phone). - Gives you the option to CLEAR DATA and CLEAR CACHE. Did that each time. Could have also CLEAR DEFAULTS - should I have done that?

Hope this information helps.

F-Secure

In a few days new Android version will get published, you may try that one. It contains a fix to prevent crashing when invalid data found. I am not sure though if it helps in your case, but at least a logic to proccess password entries has been refactored.

View solution in original post

Scholar

Yes, now fixed and working. Many thanks