KEY Premium total synchronisation failure on Android phone

Scholar

KEY Premium total synchronisation failure on Android phone

This is a synchronisation failure in F-SECURE KEY PREMIUM. This happened after the last upgrade either to the Android or Win 10 version I believe. If I uninstall F-Secure Key from the Android phone and reinstall, I can use it fine (provided I create at least two passwords) as the FREE standalone version. If I try to synchronise with my other devices, I create a synchronisation code on my PC and enter it into the phone. I am then asked for the Master Password on the other device. KEY then knocks me back to the Master password entry screen. I enter my Android master password and am in KEY, but I do not have the passwords synchronised with my other devices, just the ones entered locally. i have no idea what else to try.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
F-Secure

Re: KEY Premium total synchronisation failure on Android phone

In a few days new Android version will get published, you may try that one. It contains a fix to prevent crashing when invalid data found. I am not sure though if it helps in your case, but at least a logic to proccess password entries has been refactored.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Community Manager

Hi dbarnes,

Could you check the steps mentioned in the link here to sync your passwords between the android device and the Windows computer?

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Scholar

Hi Laksh, Yes, done that. I already have two PC's which synchronise (both display "KEY PREMIUM Valid until 1 June 2017"). My problem is that KEY on my Android phone (which was also displaying the same message) and coincidentally, working perfectly suddenly stopped working - in fact I couldn't enter the Master Password. Symptoms were: 1. Incorrect password displays "Wrong password", as it should. 2. Correct password briefly displayed the Android phone screen, then reverted to the enter Master password screen in KEY. So, this is what happens when I try to use the link method you suggested: 1. In KEY on desktop (OR laptop - it doesn't matter) go to "Connect devices". 2. "Generate synchronization code" displays 8 digit synchronization code. 3. In KEY on phone go to "Connect devices". 4. Where it says "Enter sync code", enter the 8 digit code from step 2 above. 5. Press "Connect". 6. Briefly displays "Synchronizing with another device". 7. Enter Master Password from the other device. 8. Press "Confirm". 9. Displays "This app was synchronized with another instance of F-Secure Key." Can't read rest of message, goes away too fast. KEY now asks for Master Password again, BUT IT HASN'T SYNCHRONIZED - only the locally entered passwords are present. *** KEY had been working correctly on all three devices since June 2015 *** I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but I don't know what else to try.
Scholar

HI Laksh, Please update on this case as i still cannot sync with my laptop and desktop. note that all three devices have been working fine since November 2014 (on various phones) until sunday when the phone app stopped syncing. the pc and laptop still sync fine. it doesn't look like an installation issue, or incorrect sync procedure. really looks like the Android Key app isn't working correctly.
Highlighted
F-Secure

Maybe you can try to change master password on your Android application to the same one you are using on Desktop version and then generate sync code on Desktop and enter on Android, after that it shouldn't ask you to change master password.

Scholar

Hi duckavi, many thanks for replying. Unfortunately, that is exactly what I did - I use the same master password on the pc, the laptop, and the Android phone. It still asks me for the Master Password again, it still doesn't sync the passwords onto the phone. NOTE: during all this, the sync between the pc and laptop continues to work. It really, really, looks like the application is trying to work, but cannot write to the phone's drive. Possibly a permissions problem? 10 days now with non-functioning product for which I am paying. Really not a good advertisement for F-Secure is it? Please, any other ideas?
Scholar

Hi dukavi, please update on this case as I still cannot sync with my Android phone.
F-Secure

Did you try to remove Android app completely and then install again? It should remove your local storage and cached data. After that you may generate sync code on your desktop application and enter sync code on Android app and then fetch your password collection.

Scholar

Hi dukavi, thank you for your suggestion. I have once again tried it. Please read my original post, this is EXACTLY the procedure I followed immediately I discovered that I could no longer sync. Just in case, I did it again. I don't know what is wrong, but I can't open F-secure KEY if I try and sync before adding locally stored passwords - if I do, then KEY refuses to open. It just keeps displaying the enter master password screen. The only thing I can do is remove the Android app completely and then install again. At this point, I can enter a master password and store passwords locally (at least two are needed to prevent the app locking up again). I can try and sync, and the app keeps displaying the master password screen. One important difference though - I can use the app for local storage only. Please, please read my previous posts. So far, all the replies I have received have been off point, or have recommended actions I have already taken and described in previous posts. Help!
F-Secure

dbarnes, can you please specify the version of the Android and Desktop application you are using?