F-Secure Key high CPU usage on Windows 8.1

Novice

F-Secure Key high CPU usage on Windows 8.1

I have noticed that when I have the F-Secure Key loaded it loads the CPU quite heavily when it shouldn't be doing anything that would require much CPU power. When the Key window is open the CPU usage may even exceed 20%. Even when it's locked and closed it remains in the top 5 CPU users on my computer almost constantly with relatively high CPU utilization of approx. 3% on average, frequently exceeding 5% and only rarely goes to 0% where I would expect it to be when Key is locked and closed. I do not understand what is so CPU intensive that Key is doing in the background. My computer is a Acer Iconia W700 with Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.8 GHz and Windows 8.1 OS.

3 REPLIES 3
Superuser

Re: F-Secure Key high CPU usage on Windows 8.1

Hello,

About CPU 20% during opened Key Window - but does you mean... that with any actions inside?

Just because... yes, F-Secure Key indeed load CPU (much). But about so much like "20%" during situation, when Key just opened....  I not met. It's can be just during any actions inside (checking, editing, clicking, sync and etc.);

----------------

About why it's happened - my opinion:

- F-Secure Key targeted to any "autofill"-features. Always "be ready" to autofill-place detected and do that.

- F-Secure always decrypted-encrypted user data during your work with F-Secure Key UI;

It's always encrypted... and decrypted happened real-time during your access... Also it's probably some other encrypted-decrypted relationships;

- F-Secure always able to use by "CTRL+F2" - it's mean... can be one of "reason" for addition about CPU load;

----------------

But:

I have experience about F-Secure Key with also Acer-device (close to your configuration) with same "CPU loads" (but not about "20%" without actions);

And also have experience about Key with low-machine - 512Mb and Pentium III - here, of course, not all features worked.... but that machine with Key work nice (with some load CPU too);

Like  many others machines with Key (various configurations) - it's always work nice.. and (except results by CPU-checking) it's not visible to any troubles. Speedy, fast and without visible troubles.

Also... that "load" with CPU/Memory can to give.... result about "fast work with user" - when it's reserve some resources more, than need... for good "answer" later. And here good.. that it's not affect system in another places.

Or you feel any troubles during work with system?

My experience - just if I checked CPU/memory load - Key take a lot... but not feel that in work (with outdate machines too);

But anyway.. will be interesting to read answer from F-Secure Key team.

EDIT: but maybe you mean.... that you open task manager.. and during that visible about "20%" CPU load.... OK :) it's have, but maybe also related with trying to "search" any forms for autofillin on that "application"; Just open Key - not give that result.

Novice

Thanks for your reply Ukko.

The over 20% CPU was at peak what I noticed while monitoring the CPU usage. That peak usually occurs when Key is hidden in to background and the Task Manager is opened, the CPU load of Key fluctuates between 17-20% for 10 seconds after opening Task Manager. The real problem is, however, that the CPU load almost constantly stays in the range of approx. 2 and 6% when Key is just unlocked and window open even when not really using it in any way with the UI and not doing anything else on the computer either. Also the CPU utilization while locked and closed is needlessly high as I explained before. This may not seem like much, but it clearly seems to have an impact on the battery life of the said computer. It certainly is no probem to just quit the Key totally to avoid it loading the CPU unnecessarily and draining the battery, but in my opinion considering the nature of F-Secure Key, it should not be using that much CPU when just sitting in the background. You may well be on the right track with your suggestions, however there's no setting in Key's preferences that would allow to dis-/enable any of the functionality you are referring to. There's only the autolock timeout setting and language.

Superuser

Edited:

Sorry....   all words about "over 20%",of course, can be related with my words too.

Your configuration about processor a little be another... and it's can be a reason... that your "over 20%" same with "just 20%".

Hello,

Yes, I can to repeat situation with 20% (but not over) - if Key work and after that I launch task manager;  Maybe it will be related with some of points around user data (how many entries and etc.); Maybe you have more - and it's take more for searching form or "ready for decrypted data", than 20% in "casual" situations. But... I can to create situation with "the over 20% CPU" just with any actions about UI (work with Key very actively); Oh... maybe (over 20%) related with 8.1 (current my words about "repeating" was about just Windows 8);

About "constantly" 2-6% CPU - it's also same with my situations about any machines (but if indeed nothing to do /include anything, which require... a user-step/... it's goes practically to zero percents), where I have experience about "try or use" Key for Windows; And also was worry about that - because it... I did  "a try" to use Key with certainly "low-configuration" machine for understanding.. how it's critical, but indeed... I not checking points about battery.

Anyway - indeed - I don't know about current situation - it's "as design" or it's a trouble (which need to fix); And here already just F-Secure Key team can to explain that.

Just I can to understand potential reasons (which can not "prevent" by casual steps) :

- fill-feature (able by CTRL+F2) and related points, when each new application/window/place can be interpreted how form for adding or search any forms;

- encrypted/decrypted-feature (which always real-time work) about user data (or any other means like... not just for user data - for all encrypted data, which using by Key);

And that features.... some kind of "main" features of design. But if "CPU load" not strongly related with encrypted/decrypted-work.... maybe "fill-feature" can be optionally.

And also.. can to understand... that it's do not give "slow-mode" or "freezing" during work. How it's can be related with some of software, which load CPU or take memory a lot.  But... certainly here can be "not nice" points too.

Sorry again about reply :) Also have interest in answer from F-Secure Key about current situation :)

If be honestly - more "clearly" I checked situation just about Acer-devices (here same situation always) :) or with various devices, where Key can be with "dropped" some features (such of not supported by platform); And with other normal devices (not Acer-devices), where all features of Key should to work..... probably I not clear checked about CPU/Memory load in "long time" (and not sure... that did that, when Key already was with Qt5);

But maybe... all "variants" related just with packed/unpacked Key resources during any actions.