Cannot login - master password field not shown

Aspirant

Cannot login - master password field not shown

I cannot enter the master password in F-Secure Key, since the Master password field is not shown in the application screen. My OS is Windows 7, F-Secure Key has worked perfectly before. Killing the process & restarting the application worked, but this kind of problems should not occur - not all home users know how to kill processes, and perhaps not all users have the privileges to do so.

F-Secure_key.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Cannot login - master password field not shown

Hi,

Currently available latest version (v1.6) should fix this problem for good. If you still experience the same problem, please let us know.

Thanks,

Juha

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Former F-Secure Employee

Could you check the Settings -> About and let us know the KEY version number you have running on your Windows 7?

Aspirant

My version number is 1.4.158

Aspirant

I have this issue as well. You have to kill the process and then restart Key for it to work. You have to do it every time you restart the computer.

Also version 1.4.158.

Superuser

Hello,

And you also have Windows 7?

--------

Anyway - it's can belpful without any other reasons -  http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/key - here available already new version of Key; You can also try with that (but maybe that current trouble not related with version of Key);

Also... maybe indeed some changes in Key-service too.

If F-Secure Key team already not found reason for that situation... maybe can be helpful:

- do you have "default" installation-folder for Key or it's "custom"?

Superuser

But.. also... doesn't matter "Windows 7 here also or not";

If it's happened just during start/launch system and need to each time to "kill process";

Can you to do next things?

-  launch by command line / run -> msconfig (msconfig.exe);

-  open "autorun"-settings and uncheck "fskey" (or from first step - by task manager-  if it's will be same with Windows 8; and here just right-click -> turn off);

During situation, when F-Secure Key without "autorun" with launch system... can you just manual start Key-application?

It's will be with same trouble? Or all OK? Probably... should be all "OK".

if not - it's strange :)

Aspirant

Yes, Windows 7, 64 bit. Default installation location.

If it doesn't launch automatically, then it works fine once you start it manually. That's sort of annoying to have to do, though...

I re-downloaded Key and re-installed it, which changed the version to 1.5.144. Don't have time to test it out today, but will post back if that didn't fix the behavior.

Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for answer!

Probably here indeed something with Windows 7; Because I can not to meet that situation with my devices (it's various, but not about Windows 7); I had experience with same trouble (but it's one-time) and it's just hang. And related with "time-out" during launch system (with overload) for autorun Key (but with latest version; previously one.. maybe can be a reason - but probably not);

And just because.... "autorun" for Key with "turn off"-status... give situatiom, when launch Key in first time... happened without current "trouble";

Maybe it's all related in somewhat reasons (about mechanism for autorun Key and Windows 7); Or maybe all different here :)

Aspirant

Upon restarting my computer today, Key is still working fine after autoload on startup. Seems like whatever the error was, it has been fixed in the later version of Key.

Former F-Secure Employee

Thanks for the update Gemmy, glad to hear it works. We have tried to reproduce this issue with Win7 and Win8 based on instructions provided, but without success. However the lastest improvements in v1.5 released last week apparently do help in providing solution.

I'm still curious though; Gemmy, Torspo, what type of hard drives do you have on the computers you use? I mean the hardware design.

Solid state disks (SSD) are much faster at boot time where as the conventional hard drives with spinning platters. The latter are somewhat slow on bootup. Ukko also mentioned that he had this once when his system was 'overloaded' at boot. This still leaves me wondering that if the system boot is slow enough, could it still interfere with the autostart.

TIA;

Juha