Automatic fill-in?

Aspirant

Automatic fill-in?

Did I get this right so Key does not fill in passwords automatically based on the url like e.g. LastPass?

One has to press ctrl-f2 and choose from list?

If I got it right I am wondering how this will work in practise... having long list of passwords makes usage... not user friendly.

Key user interface is using quite lot of space for one entry so list will be long.

H.

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Automatic fill-in?

Hi,

The ctrl+f2 is meant to be the backup method where you can input your user and/or password anywhere, you can use it in native applications, web pages and with some hidden tips even in shell sessions like using Putty.

It has a nice advantage over the clipboard since the clipboard is a shared and inherently unsecure way to enter passwords.

Here's some hidden tip for the ctrl+f2.

If you select from the list that opens with ctrl+f2:
    holding the shift key when you click or press enter will input only the username
    holding the ctrl key will input only the password
    holding shift + ctrl key will input username + enter + password (for console terminals)

We've been developing the autofill feature that does it without the need for pressing the ctrl+f2 combination and we'll start beta testing it in the comming days, it differs from most passwords managers in significant ways related to improved usability and security.

Among the exciting things it offers, you can have autofill both in native applications as well as web pages, works in web browsers and does not install itself as web browser plugin, which offers an attractive security advantage over other password managers (the surface area for attacking the application is reduced significantly in this way)

We're very anxious to rollout the feature and we hope you'll give a try once released.

-Matias

Aspirant

Ok,

So there will be "full automatic fill-in" coming in near future, if got your message right. :)

Thanks for the info, looking forward to that as the current user experience is not that motivating (ctrl-f2 I mean).

H.

Scholar

Well, it is Dec 26 and auto login does not work on my mac.

Former F-Secure Employee

@WaltR wrote:

Well, it is Dec 26 and auto login does not work on my mac.

Did you check prerequisites for Mac autofilling at:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/Can-Key-fill-in-my-username-and/ta-p/34819

Scholar

First, Security & Privacy/Privacy on my Mac 10.9.1 doesn't seem to allow me to add an app, unlocked or otherwise.

Second, Cmdl-F2 does allow me to choose a username, but not a password.

Curiously, I have only one entry in KEY, but the username list it brings up is several long.

So, still stuck with nothing working.

Former F-Secure Employee

>>First, Security & Privacy/Privacy on my Mac 10.9.1 doesn't seem to allow me to add an app, unlocked or otherwise.

If i recall correctly, in latest OSX there's no obvious 'add button' (i couldn't find one myself) however i was able to add the application by drag & drop it into the list of apps, would it be possible for you to try that out?

-Mat

Aspirant

23.1 autofill not working on any of my devices. Windows 8.1 + chrome, IE and Android tab/phone.

Former F-Secure Employee

Did you install any new software, software updates or Windows updates before you observed autofill stopped working?

TIA;

Juha

Novice

Hi,

what's the key in windows 8.1 when using only touch screen?

..there is no F2 available in windows 8.1 touch screen keyboard.

__

hoopee