Auto fill-in in Firefox

Highlighted
Scholar

Auto fill-in in Firefox

Hi,

Just installed the F-Secure Key and are trying it out. Is it possible at all to have the Key auto fill-in login credentials in Firefox (I currently use Firefox 29.0.1)? Naturally, I have noticed the Ctrl + F2 "solution", but really don't consider pressing two buttons, and selecting from a long, long list of Key entries as being automatic.

Did I miss something?

/Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Auto fill-in in Firefox

Hi,

If the currently chosen way of triggering autofill doesn't do it for you, could you please let me know how you would expect it to work?

You do need to tell KEY is which login and password to use for the login at hand. With 100+ items on dropdown, you can just start typing and the focus should hit the title you are looking for in no time. Press enter and you're done. Might not be self evident, but the flow is optimized for high-end use cases where you have regular keyboard&mouse and want speed. More traditional way to use is the icon dropdown that appears once you focus on password input.

Do note that Ctrl+F2 is not limited only to web browser. You can trigger it in any application. And the drop-down selector is also multipurpose for high-end use. Once selecting entry from dropdown, shift, ctrl and shift+ctrl modifiers further command what to type.

With shift, it fills only the username, with ctrl it only fills the password, with shift+ctrl it fills username and password separated with a new line. This is very useful for customized applications, native apps and command line terminals (if you're into command line stuff). Try it out in notepad for example to experiment and get hang of it.

I hope this opens the logic behind it a bit more. I'm happy to hear your thoughts how we could improve the autofill! We will continue improving the functionality and all input helps us to make correct choises when we start implementing next advancements.

Thanks,

Juha

8 REPLIES 8
Supporter

Hi Paul,

There should be an auto fill-in feature with F-Secure Key. Have you tried to test with a different web browser to see if it works there?

Scholar

Thanks for your reply!

I've tried Firefox (my primary browser) and Internet Explorer, none of them auto-fills anything. Please note that the Ctrl+F2 works fine with both FF and IE (and most times the Key-icon triggering the dropdown works fine as well).

However, having to click an icon (or press two buttons) and then select from a 100+ items list is not what I define as automatic.

Is there a better way? Would love to use the product, and pay for it, but without this feature working it's quite useless.

/Paul

Supporter

Ok, I see.

I will check with our technicians and get back to you as soon as I can.

Scholar

Any news on this one? Is there an auto-fill feature or not?

/Paul

Supporter

Still looking into it. Reminder sent yesterday. Will let you know as soon as I get an answer.

Former F-Secure Employee

Hi,

If the currently chosen way of triggering autofill doesn't do it for you, could you please let me know how you would expect it to work?

You do need to tell KEY is which login and password to use for the login at hand. With 100+ items on dropdown, you can just start typing and the focus should hit the title you are looking for in no time. Press enter and you're done. Might not be self evident, but the flow is optimized for high-end use cases where you have regular keyboard&mouse and want speed. More traditional way to use is the icon dropdown that appears once you focus on password input.

Do note that Ctrl+F2 is not limited only to web browser. You can trigger it in any application. And the drop-down selector is also multipurpose for high-end use. Once selecting entry from dropdown, shift, ctrl and shift+ctrl modifiers further command what to type.

With shift, it fills only the username, with ctrl it only fills the password, with shift+ctrl it fills username and password separated with a new line. This is very useful for customized applications, native apps and command line terminals (if you're into command line stuff). Try it out in notepad for example to experiment and get hang of it.

I hope this opens the logic behind it a bit more. I'm happy to hear your thoughts how we could improve the autofill! We will continue improving the functionality and all input helps us to make correct choises when we start implementing next advancements.

Thanks,

Juha

Scholar

Hi,

Ah, I missed the "start typing" part of selecting the correct entry, it certainly improves the usability. Thanks for pointing that out!

A nice feature for the future, to have it even more automatically, would be browser plugins detecting the URL and fill in the login form automatically (kind of like Firefox internal password handler). Naturally, would only work in browsers, though.

/Paul

Former F-Secure Employee

I took a note of your feature request. It provides us valuable input when designing further improvements to the various functionalities we have. Thank you.

-Juha