What is the purpose of [updateservices] firewall service?

Supporter

What is the purpose of [updateservices] firewall service?

Hi, 

I found firewall service [updateservices] in couple of PMCs. 
What is this, and what should it be used for? Does this exist by default, or has someone added it manually?

Was building a new firewall profile, and while testing, I noticed that I could reach scopes that was not white listed. Found out, that [updateservices] allows me to connect for example our limited access web servers in port 8080. 

3 REPLIES 3
Supporter

Re: What is the purpose of [updateservices] firewall service?

Just installed a fresh copy of PMC 13.11 and "[updateservices]" is present. What is this?
By the looks of it, it allows all the traffic trough the firewall, and renders the whole firewall useless, if you happen to use this by mistake. 

Superuser

That service is designed to allow the client to fetch Updates from PMS/F-Secure, even if it is switched into etwork quarantine, which can be enabled from Internet Shield/Network Quarantine (advanced view).

Network Quarantine happens after xx days old updates. It blocks all inbound and outbound traffic except communication with PMS/Update services.

Matthias
----------
perComp is a Platinum Partner of F-Secure since 1994. Any advice or help given by me in this forum is voluntarily and to my best knowledge based on working with the products since 1997. Direct contact for customers please check our homepage http://www.percomp.de

Supporter

Thanks, now it makes sense Smiley Happy
Where do you define [updateservers] or is it the servers configured in client security client?
Would like to have a list of [] services and hosts (like [MyDNS]), could be usefull when configuring a new profile