cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall alias question

Supporter

Firewall alias question

Hi,

I need to create a rule for outgoing traffic where remote host is *local* ip address of the workstation itself (yeah, great design by Veeam .. ). The ip address is acquired from DHCP server.

How can I do that? It seems that I cannot use "localhost" or "127.0.0.1". Best solution I came up so far, is to use our dhcp range, but that's far from perfect.

6 REPLIES 6
Supporter

Re: Firewall alias question

Also, I'd like to set my own aliases on FSPMC. Is this supported? For example [backupserver2] 192.168.1.20 ?

This would come very handy, when you need to replace a server, and dont want to go through tens of rules, but simply change the IP on alias.

F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello hyvokar,

Aliases are not supported in current PMC UI.

Best regards,

Vad

Supporter

Is there a way to refer my dhcp ip address then?

Superuser

V14- Firewall does accept DNS names for the remote host. So you might want to define the alias in DNS / AD.

Matthias
----------
perComp is a Platinum Partner of F-Secure since 1994. Any advice or help given by me in this forum is voluntarily and to my best knowledge based on working with the products since 1997. Direct contact for customers please check our homepage http://www.percomp.de

Highlighted
Supporter

I'm still at V13. V14 firewall seems like a huge disaster to me. 

Superuser

Betreff: Firewall alias question

Without knowing that software in detail, please check this:

- Is it possible to assign the same IP aggain via DHCP, then you could use that address.
- If the server part of that machine is runing locally, how does the client side learn about it?
- In V13 we still have the concept of trusted NICs...

If you were running a windows firewall, how would that learn about the needs?

Why do you want to limit the outgoing traffic, if you could just allow incomming traffic on that ports only?

Matthias
----------
perComp is a Platinum Partner of F-Secure since 1994. Any advice or help given by me in this forum is voluntarily and to my best knowledge based on working with the products since 1997. Direct contact for customers please check our homepage http://www.percomp.de