This topic has been closed due to inactivity. If you would like to discuss this topic further, please start a new post.
You can reference this topic in your post by adding this link:
I am testing the software update functionality of CS 11 Premium on PM 11 beta. I have installed the beta-package on two machines (Win7 and Win 8, both Enterprise x64); the clients report back to PM, but the "Software Updates" tab stays empty, even after doublechecking and adjusting the software scanning settings (every 12 hrs and at startup).
Of course it is possible that both workstations are fully patched, but honestly this would be quite surprising.
Please, check how it is going on the client side.
First of all, make sure that F-Secure Software Updater update is successfully installed on the client(s). To check this, open "Settings" window from main Client Security GUI, select Other settings->Downloads, and check the status of F-Secure Software Updater update. If the status is "Failed" or "Fail, will retry...", then most likely something is wrong with downloading software updates DB from the web. Make sure that the client has internet access and properly configured proxy.
If F-Secure Software Updater update status is "Installed", please, check "Statistics" page in the main GUI.
"Latest software updates scanning" and "Latest software updates installation" together with "Missing security updates" chart will give you the clear picture of the situation.
The last possibility is that If F-Secure Software Updater update is completely missing. In this case most likely something is wrong on PM side.
The "F-Secure Software Updater" is not installed, even tough I have checked the box "Software Updater" when creating/exporting the package. You wrote that the problem then most probably would be on the PM side, this is surprising since it is a completely fresh PM 11 beta install?
When you checked the checkbox while exporting the package, you confirmed the installation of SU feature itself.
But in order to start working SU needs to install the update, which contains latest binaries and fresh software updates DB.
If the update wasn't downloaded by the client, then most likely Policy Manager doesn't have it for some reason.
Was it a clean installtion of PM 11? Do you have any Server Security product installed on the same server?
Most likely we'll need the diagnostics collected by F-Secure Support Tool from both PM and CS hosts to find the root.
Yes, I would consider it as a clean installation of PM. (I previously had PM 10.20 beta but ran into a "customer number is invalid" issue, so I uninstalled PM, deleted the "Management Server 5" folder and re-installed PM 11 beta. Along the way I also removed ESS 10.
I might actually start completely from scratch, with a clean vanilla OS installation unless you recommend me to follow for for possible bug hunting since this is a beta product ...
First, please try fsaua reset tool on PM host. This leads to refreshing the updates on PM, and could help to receive SU update.
If this doesn't help, please use F-Secure uninstallation tool on PM host, and then manually delete "HKLM->Software->Data Fellows" or "HKLM->Software->Wow6432node->Data Fellows" from registry, and then install PM 11 again.
Thanks in advance
Similar issue here, after updating PM (10.10 -> 11.0) and installing CS11Premium to a few test clients, they failed to ever scan for missing swup items. Closer inspection revealed the PM indeed had not downloaded the software updater component at all.
Re-installed, and the issue persisted. Then noticed that upon installing PM11 on a machine already running ESS10, PM11 installer fails to update FSAUA hence it not having ability to download said SWUP component.
Solution (of sorts): Removed both PM11 and ESS10, and re-installed ONLY PM11, and problem solved...
Platform: Windows Server 2012
EDIT: Oddly enough, the now working PM11 reports FSAUA 8.26.6367, where as a ESS10 (on a different server though) reports 8.30.6336. Shouldn't the PM11 have a newer one?
You are right, there is a compatibility issue if PM 10.10 - 11.00 TP is installed together with SS/ESS 10.00 product. As a workaround, the issue can be fixed by running AUA reset tool on affected server.
Also, this compatibility issue is fixed in upcoming PM 11.00 RC.
Thx, I'll be waiting for next release then.
But for "bug hunting" reference, my procedure was (after patching to PM11/CS11)
1) Ran the AUA-reset tool, still did not download the swup component.
2) Uninstalled both PM11 and ESS10, ran uitool to clean up
3) Reinstalled ESS10 (reboot), and PM11. Noticed that AUA did not work correctly. Looking at the AUA program at PM host, source address pointed to the host IP itself, and only loaded updates for ESS product (7-8 items or so). Looked as if the PM installer had not installed it's version of AUA at all (log file indicated version 8.30 which is the one for ESS10, not PM11 which has 8.26)
4) Uninstalled both and ran uitool
5) Installed only PM11, and now it works as intended. Also the two test clients with CS11 have now scanned and installed updates as expected.
*h2dp was recovered from backup after installing PM11 in all stages
PM11 RC installed with ESS10, and works as expected. The elusive "fsoftupd" is there (even the new version released today).