Anti-Virus firewall daemon stopped responding

Scholar

Anti-Virus firewall daemon stopped responding

We have recently upgraded from Client Security 12.00 to 13.00 on a number of workstations, and on a nightly basis we receive the following error message from many of them:

The module F-Secure Anti-Virus Firewall Daemon monitored by F-Secure Management Agent has stopped responding or was terminated. An attempt to restart it will be made later. If you see this message frequently, contact the system administrator or reinstall F-Secure products.

I looked at this previous thread which suggested needing OS updates to support a more recent signing algorithm: https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Business/Module-Crash-Detected-Restarting/td-p/90894

However in our case this error is also occurring on fully patched versions of Windows 10. What could the problem be?

19 REPLIES 19
Superuser

Re: Anti-Virus firewall daemon stopped responding

Hello,

The new version F-Secure Client Security 13.10 (and the corresponding Policy Manager 13.10 centralized management) has published today. FSCS version 13.10 includes significant bugfixes in the firewall module, so please try it.

Best regards: Feher Tamas, Hungary.

F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello Deolicious,

Problems with signing algorithm should not affect Windows 10 OS. If installation of CS 13.10 on problematic machines will lead to same results, please, contact support. We will need Firewall debug logs for investigation.

Best regards,

Vad

Scholar

Is upgrading the only known solution to this problem given this scenario? On most of our workstations we are only able to do software patches/upgrades once a month as part of our agreed upon maintenance cycle. I would not be able to upgrade domain wide until after Patch Tuesday of next month.

F-Secure
F-Secure

Currently we don't have any idea what's the root cause of your issue.

If you can confirm that installation of CS 13.10 resolves it (or not), we can move forward, and, probably, find some easier solution for you.

Best regards,

Vad

Scholar

Dear Vad

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, the error message persists even with FSCS v13.10:

"The module F-Secure Anti-Virus Firewall Daemon monitored by F-Secure Management Agent has stopped responding or was terminated. An attempt to restart it will be made later. If you see this message frequently, contact the system administrator or reinstall F-Secure products."

Like the first post, this is running on the latestr Windows 10 Pro Falls Creator Update with all updates installed to date
(23 rd Dec 2017)

Edition: Windwos 10 Pro
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.64

The details for FSCS is as follows:

FSCS 13.10 Premium
Version: 13.10
Build: 215

Not sure if this is useful but a red cross appears on the FSCS icon in the taskbar after about 5 mins from startup. When hover the mouse over this the message ""Network Connections: Malfunction" appears.

However, I have no problem accesing the network and all connections appears to be up and running. I do worry whether network security has been compromised in some unseen way.

Look forward to some further suggestions.

Thanks

Scholar

I have generated a systems information log via the FS Support Tool. Let me know how I can best get this to you.

Thanks
F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello mas2,

Please, contact support. Support tool information is not enough in that case. We will need Firewall debug logs for investigation.

Best regards,

Vad

Scholar

Thanks for the reply!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello mas2,

One thing that can cause the situation you had described. Please, check Windows service: Base Filtering Engine. F-Secure Anti-Virus firewall daemon has a dependency on this service, and will not start, if it is not enabled/running.

Best regards,

Vad